Quail in ohio

J_ls1327

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2019
Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone knew if Ohio had laws about the types of quail we are allowed to have. I will be using them as pets and their eggs for my dogs raw meat diet and maybe for ourselves to eat. Please nay information will help! Also, does anyone have a suggested feed for quail and a suggested coupe? :thumbsup

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone knew if Ohio had laws about the types of quail we are allowed to have. I will be using them as pets and their eggs for my dogs raw meat diet and maybe for ourselves to eat. Please nay information will help! Also, does anyone have a suggested feed for quail and a suggested coupe? :thumbsup
Contact your local game warden or DNR agent. That person can answer your questions including which if any permits you will need and how to get them.

It depends on what kind of quail you're going to raise. Most states don't require a license for coturnix quail, but will for native quail. Most quail eat gamebird crumble, and for coupe, I rather like Honda Civics (sorry). Quail usually prefer to roost on the ground, so if you're going to keep them in a coop, make sure to give them plenty of dirt boxes.

Here's a link to the Ohio Division of Wildlife, where you would see what license if any you need.

Last edited:
I just came across this thread. If you're interested in raising or even just keeping northern Bobwhite quail then you will need to get ahold of ODNR. They will come to your house and look at your set up. Then you can either get a propagation license or a commercial license. I only have heard that with coturnix quail, you don't need to do anything. We don't have coturnix, only northern Bobwhite. If this is to late, I am sorry.

Back
Top Bottom