Quail in South Africa - New here

Discussion in 'Quail' started by neb, Aug 21, 2010.

1. flynpa

flynpa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    NED,

I used a water heater thermostat that swung between 101.5*F and 97*F in my homemade incubator and had a 77% hatch rate. Make sure your incubator is not where it will receive direct sun. Try to put it in a room that has a consistant temperature. Make sure it is not in the direct flow of a heat/cooling vent. Good Luck!

Stuart

2. JohanW

JohanW New Egg

Feb 5, 2013
    Hi Everyone,
    I breed and keep quail here in Gauteng on a part time/hobby basis if Neb is still looking for quail he can contact me [​IMG] Mostly Chinese Painted

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to the quail forums!!

4. Evadne

Evadne New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    Hi,

I see you wanted to breed quail back in 2010. I am looking to breed blackrumped button quails primarily to eventually return them to the wild also francolin - if I could find breeding pairs and/or eggs to incubate. Did you get started & do you breed birds naturally occurring in SA?

EDJ - Knysna

5. JohanW

JohanW New Egg

Feb 5, 2013
    I do not think we are allowed to keep indigenous birds, only ones I have are rescues that got hurt no pairs so far.

6. nunex

nunex New Egg

Apr 9, 2013
    hie

i am interested in quail breeding and am based in Zimbabwe , is there any way anyone would have links to anyone brreeding in Zimbabwe.

Alternatively anyone breeding in the Limpopo Province of South Africa where i can drive through and purchase a few birds for my own project.
    i am reachable on [email protected] or on 00263773200854 ,

please assist if you have info .

thanx

7. Carin

Carin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    South Africa
    You could try putting your request to the Rare Breed Chicken forum. I am sure somebody there will be able to help you or know some one able to help. Hallo from another South African. http://sararebreeds.com/m/articles/index/

8. totallytime

totallytime New Egg

Jan 5, 2013
    Hey guys , I am breeding jumbo browns in the kzn midlands area ....

How'd those rain quail turn out ?

And what I wanna know , what you feeding your quail and what protein contents they are ?

Thanks
    Tim

9. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I am just curious....What kind of feed do you feed your quail in South Africa? Here in US we can buy non medicated turkey and game bird starter feed.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  10. yakupturker

yakupturker New Egg

Sep 14, 2013
    I want to buy 30 pcs
    how much, and I'm staying in prices cape town

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by