Quail in the tiny coops w/the chickens at nite.

Green and white 6 feet by 18 inches
Red and white also but the run is wider and taller and we like it better.
I don't think even 1 chicken should ever live in these coops. They are for bedtime.
And, always have grain and fresh water.

I still don't think they'll play nice with the quail, sorry :(

Also, if you meant the quail would only go in at bedtime, I have bad news: they are NOT like chickens and will be eaten or escape en masse if left free range. Not sure how you could keep the quail in while letting the chickens in and out otherwise.

Plus, unless you're prepared to feed your chickens REALLY expensive food you have to separate them for mealtimes.

Any possibility of getting a second similar setup just for quail? That'd work great.

Chickens have been domesticated and kept in large numbers for a long time, and as such have developed partial or full immunity to many diseases which will kill most other birds.
Additionally, parrots are flying birds. They stay up out of the quail's space, and the quail stay down where the parrots don't see. Even then, you risk losing quail if a parrot decides to go after them, parrots are strong.
Quail are small, delicate birds. They need to be kept on their own, or with other small, delicate birds. Doves and finches might be all right.

And yes, quail will vanish if allowed to free-range. You have to keep them in a pen.

Agree with the others, especially about them picking on the quail!! And theres no way that it would work loose!! They are too wild, and everything wants to eat them, i just had a cat or a racoon get 4 of mine through the wire! Ive had them escape in the house before and my dachshund walked up and ate it, the quail just sat there. They are too domestic and do not have good instincts. They fly up alarmed when i feed but then let the dog eat them like I said.

They wil do good in their own separate pen though, but make sure to reinforce those bought pens with hardware cloth.
I only did mine halfway up the bottom and the cat or racoon sat on the roof i guess to stick their paws through the wire.

Good move on the alfalfa, sounds like you keep your pens nice and clean so they shouldn't spread anything from handling the chickens then the quail. I also use alfalfa and wheat, oats, cane, tridicale, whatever type of straw hay we grow depends on the time of year, and then alfala year round, I have had great success not using wood shavings and think it should be avoided if possible... hope you do get quail and they do good for you :) they are really a delight!

I still don't think they'll play nice with the quail, sorry :(

Also, if you meant the quail would only go in at bedtime, I have bad news: they are NOT like chickens and will be eaten or escape en masse if left free range. Not sure how you could keep the quail in while letting the chickens in and out otherwise.

Plus, unless you're prepared to feed your chickens REALLY expensive food you have to separate them for mealtimes.

Any possibility of getting a second similar setup just for quail? That'd work great.
My chickens get little bit of whole corn and meal worms. Layina oyster shell probiotics natural American grown crumbles. Purina grit.
Chopped kale today. Greens everyday. And sometimes apples, oatmeal when it is cold and raining.

Back
Top Bottom