Quail in with the chickens

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kristenm1975, Sep 26, 2008.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'm new to chicken keeping and am interested in keeping quail also. Should I have a pen just for the quail or will they be fine in with the chickens? Also, do they require special feed?

2. BaronRenfrew

BaronRenfrew Chillin' With My Peeps

what type of quail? Coturnix are different from bobwhites

generelly no... chickens can be aggressive and quail males will pick a fight and get beat

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Coturnix quail would probably get molested by the roos, and a well aimed peck on the head from a chicken could easily kill an adult coturnix quail. I wouldnt do it but that's just me. My coturnix and button quails are separate from my chickens.

4. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't do that because my head Muscovy duck EATS anything small and moving etcept Baby Muscovies. Lol.

I wouldn't mix them thow.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  5. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:An aviary that houses the quail away from the chickens is recommended. housing with chickens is not all recommended for the reasons stated and then some.

No real special requirements for diet, much the same as most fowl.

Dan

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quail need high protein game bird feeds. They also will die at the drop of a hat when mixed with chickens. Normal flora and fauna and chicken poop is more than they can handle. Also as tiny as they are, as flightly as they are, a chicken coop is the last place you want them to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by