Quail in Wyoming

lwheelr

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 19, 2010
It seems that Wyoming goes out of their way to make it particularly hard to raise quail. I just received our permit in the mail today, but now need to find quail that meet the requirements.

We have two choices:

1. Purchase quail or eggs in state.
2. Purchase them out of state - in which case, this is what the law requires accompany every shipment:

"A certificate of veterinary inspection completed by an accredited veterinarian from the state of origin within ten (10) days prior to importation of game birds and/ or game bird eggs into the State shall be required. In addition, a statement signed by the supplier of the game birds shall be submitted to the Wyoming Game and Fish Department, Attention: Permitting Officer, 3030 Energy Lane, Casper, Wyoming 82604 on a form prescribed by the Department attesting that the game birds and/ or game bird eggs and premises of origin are free of infectious, contagious and communicable diseases. Diseases include, but shall not be limited to, Newcastle disease, Salmonella, pullorum, avian cholera, duck viral enteritis, Mycoplasma gallisepticum, and avian influenza. The statement shall also indicate that no game bird within the flock of origin is known to be infected with or to be exposed to avian tuberculosis. Game birds and premises of origin shall have been free of said diseases for at least one (1) year immediately preceding the date of shipment into the State and the premises shall not have experienced an undiagnosed mortality of more than ten percent (10%) of the game birds during the same one (1) year period."

So far, we are getting negatives from all the hatcheries we contact. It is like they don't even read this, they just reply with something unhelpful like "we send certification for pullorum", or something else that does not quite do the job.

We need to raise quail to supply dietary needs (quail eggs are more digestible than chicken eggs, three of us in our family have Crohn's Disease).

So, I guess I am asking whether anyone knows where I can get them either IN Wyoming, or a supplier who can meet the certification requirements.

Thanks!

Laura

Try Going To Local Livestock Auctions To Find Some Birds Or Eggs For A Starting Stock.

I Know Nothing Of Wyoming's State Regulations But Have Shipped More Than 1 Batch Of Eggs To That State And Never Provided Anything Like What You Have Listed, Actually The Only Thing I Provided Was Packing Materials
smile.png
And I Suspect If You Ask Around There's Likely Many More Folks Who'd Say The Same Thing.

Many people who are GETTING quail eggs here, are doing so illegally.

Wyoming isn't like other states. We don't have a lot of the same resources. The total population of the state is less than 1 million. So the number of people here who are raising quail is fairly small, the number who are selling them even smaller, and the number of those that you can FIND is miniscule, and practically non-existent at this time of year.

Livestock auctions in Wyoming mean cows and sheep.
smile.png

Laura

I checked Craigslist.com for Wyoming and came up with someone in Cheyenne that has pigeons to sell.

Maybe he could lead you to someone that has quail there in Wyoming. Worth a try.

I may have some cournix chicks hatching at the end of the month. When they are two weeks old and fairly feathered out I am willing to ship you some. If you can set me in the right direction for the paperwork I am more than willing to fill it out and send you the chicks completely legal.

I understand the whole thing with regulations. there are a few breeds of waterfowl we can't have in oregon without a permit.

Edited to fix a typo.
smile.png

Last edited:
Following up on that Craigslist ad - thanks!

He does know someone who raises quail, getting me in touch with them. We'll see if that pans out.

Sumatra503, can you provide vet certification on all the points?

I have also found one hatchery that will do it all, for a fee of $75 on top of the price of eggs, chicks, or breeding pairs.

Laura

What precisely are all the points? The local vet in town does something like that for when livestock is shipped out of state. Basically they are just certifying that the birds are healthy and that they are free of any diseases that could effect the wild gamebirds there in wyoming.

I was mainly offering as a back up in case you couldn't find a hatchery or a breeder in Wyoming.

I have access to paerwork stating that my birds have been tested. All of my stock was tested by the state vet at the County Fair and again at a State Poultry show.

It will cost 25-50 dollars for the state verterinarian to come out and test my flock. They have stated that they can test for Pullorum, avian influenza, and three others on your stated list.

I'm not sure what the vet will charge to inspect the chicks, but it is usually about 30.00 per vet visit. my friend Karen may also be willing to perform the needed veterinary examination for them for a lower price.

I've been reading the info that was posted regarding the regulations. really all I have to do is provide proof of a veterinary inspection and provided a statement signed by myself that states my birds are free of the diseases listed. It does not specifically mention that I have to have a state certification that the birds are healthy.

I can have them vet checked and send the signed statement.

Just out of curiosity was the second section after the word Attention: just an afterthought to tell the supplier what the diseases are that they are supposed to be including in the statement or is it an actual requirement. I noticed it was after an address to send the statement to. Was it a separate paragraph in the actual law or part of the same one.
idunno.gif

It doesn't seem all that complicated really.

I believe that the list of diseases on the NPIP form must be vet certified. The rest is just a statement.

Laura

So I have to have the vet tell me they are free of these diseases? Basically they just need to see a vet first. The list in the regulations is the same as the list the NPIP website for Oregon lists.

Certificate from vet, statement from me. No NPIP certification?

Basically I just have to write a statement that is well worded and covers the rears of the Wyoming department of fish and wildlife.

I have to include in the statement that my flock is free of the diseases listed and that they have been free for a year and that no diseases wiped out 10% of my flock and then sign it. This way if there is a disease outbreak the legal crap comes back to the supplier.

I believe that Game and Fish has to approve the form - they do accept the NPIP 9-3 or whatever it is (my brain is pretty scrambled by all of this at this point!), which is a vet certification - a lot of breeders actually keep those on hand, pre-signed, which they date and send (not exactly what is specified, but that is what they do). And then I think they have their own form to certify disease free flock status - I still need to call them and ask them to send that to me.

Either way, I'm going to be socked for double the price just to get it all done. Seems to be the way of things lately out here in the wilds.
smile.png

Dumb thing is, I am allowed to house the quail with chickens. I am allowed to import chickens from anywhere.

And then, I am allowed to import them, and then have to send the paperwork to the State Vet, who looks them over, and if they are not right, they come and destroy the flock - which is enough time for them to have spread disease anyway, quarantine notwithstanding.

So the whole "disease free" thing is absolutely meaningless when it comes down to actual practice.

Laura

Back
Top Bottom