quail keep dieing in the brooder?

BlaineWillard

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
North Carolina
i dont know what i am doing wrong i had 7 quail in the brooder a couple days ago and they are dieing off. 1 died the first day, 1 died the second day and 2 died yesterday. I have only 3 left in there now. They have plenty of food and water. The brooder is a storage tote from walmart with the top cut out for a light and to put food and water in. The heat source is a 60w light bulb. I just dont know what i am doing wrong. Oh and the quail are cortnix if that helps. I am new to rasieing quail. Thanks for all of the help.

Are you keeping the tote from a non draft area?

What is the temperature inside the brooder? Are the remaining chicks huddling at all?

My number one concern about them dying off is that they had such a delay at hatch, but once you give us the specifics on the location of the brooder, behavior of the chicks, we can help you further
smile.png

the brooder is in my bathroom so it is draft free. I have aspen shaving in the bottom of the brooder. The temp in the brooder is 90 f. I am not sure of the color of the chicks but they are gold and black. Kind of look like a calico striped cat. Lol

The shavings is fine. Paper towel causes more leg problems with chicks. The chicks are probably very weak from late hatching. Just do what you are doing. If you can get the temp up to 100 it would be better. The first week should be 100 degrees F and then each week decrease by 5 degrees.

i took some photos of them but i cant get them to upload from my phone. I guess i will have to wait until i get home to upload the photos. I am curious about there color. They are gold and black striped

Back
Top Bottom