1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail Killed (Extremely Graphic) Update: On First Post

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TillinWithMyPeeps, Oct 21, 2008.

1. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    I went out today and one of my biggest quail was pecking another quail in the exact same way. I might have to kill the quail that did this. Any butchering tips? How to kill? Is it worth it to clean and eat one Quail? If so, any tips on cleaning and eating quail?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2008
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Seriously doubt it was another quail. Maybe a rat, cat, or some other predator.

3. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    I hope it wasn't one of my other quail, they were all acting kind of crazy when I fed them earlier, and when I came out with the egg, this one was sitting in the pen about a foot from the edge.

4. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    I hate to say it, but thats what my bantams looked like when the rats were killing them. Sometimes they would eat the innards too......but usually the head, just like that. And i know it was rats, as I saw them several times. Good luck getting rid of whatever it is, hope you don't lose any more quail. [​IMG]

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Other quail on a frenzy could have done that if it got a bloody spot. If nothing
    else could have gotten to it the other quails had the potential to do it.

I had a quail jump through a crack into my silkie pen and it looked like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by