quail laid an odd egg?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by buttercup95, Sep 1, 2013.

1. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    So my quail have been laying eggs for a few months now and I go out to find this egg and another one that was solid sky blue. Anyone know the problem? they get oyster shells and 22% protein so is there some other factor? I got one blue egg a few weeks ago but it was only the one so I chalked it up to them getting use to laying but now I have two weird ones...
    [​IMG]
    I don't know if you can tell, but the bottom is solid blue too it just has a broad white stripe going horizontally across it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. silver-quail

silver-quail Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2013
    B.c.
    That's what happens when u have robins breeding your quails

3. silver-quail

silver-quail Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2013
    B.c.
    Keep up the good work and u won't have to paint Easter eggs

4. buttercup95

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    lol well I think I might have phantom robins then. My quail are in a small enclosure and they're white coturnix.,..
    [​IMG]

5. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful eggs! I don't have an answer to that but I would sure like to know myself. I got a light green egg from mine today!

[​IMG]

6. buttercup95

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    I've gotten eggs like that before too. I've never paid much attention, but is that unusual too? I'm new to quail but I sure would like to know.

7. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

I've only had quail for about 6 months, but I have never had an egg like that before. They are normally the typical brown mottled eggs. I have no idea what could cause a randomly pretty egg!

8. buttercup95

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Yeah I've only had quail since june so I'm totally clueless about different colored eggs. It sure would be neat to have them lay these consistently!

9. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
  10. buttercup95

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    You know what? Sometimes their water gets algae in it. So maybe that's what caused it. I usually clean it when I see it but I guess they might have had enough time to eat a bit of it. The algae from what I read contains carotenoids. Thanks for the read it was super interesting and informing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by