quail laid an odd egg?

buttercup95

Songster
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Northern Cali
So my quail have been laying eggs for a few months now and I go out to find this egg and another one that was solid sky blue. Anyone know the problem? they get oyster shells and 22% protein so is there some other factor? I got one blue egg a few weeks ago but it was only the one so I chalked it up to them getting use to laying but now I have two weird ones...

I don't know if you can tell, but the bottom is solid blue too it just has a broad white stripe going horizontally across it.

Last edited:
lol well I think I might have phantom robins then. My quail are in a small enclosure and they're white coturnix.,..
hu.gif

I've gotten eggs like that before too. I've never paid much attention, but is that unusual too? I'm new to quail but I sure would like to know.

Yeah I've only had quail since june so I'm totally clueless about different colored eggs. It sure would be neat to have them lay these consistently!

You know what? Sometimes their water gets algae in it. So maybe that's what caused it. I usually clean it when I see it but I guess they might have had enough time to eat a bit of it. The algae from what I read contains carotenoids. Thanks for the read it was super interesting and informing.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom