Quail math?

saddina

Internally Deranged
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Desert, CA
Need a little help in my quail math here: (last night I dreamed I miscalculated and had thousands of baby birds all hatch on one day)

Cage Math:
I know the 1 sqft per quail guide, does that include both covered and wired run, or just the wired part (making sure as chickens have an indoor & outdoor minimum).
I have an area 2 ft wide for the cages, and i can make them as long as I needed (I'm quite short and I can't quite reach 3 feet anyway).

Quail math:
Assumming a night of quail dinners would equal 8ish quail (4 ppl), and we wanted to eat quail say twice a month... that would come to 16 quail/month..

Would you just run the incubator at the 40 eggs it holds and harvest 2 months at once, or do half batches of eggs? (because of city regulations I'm limited to quail for meat birds, the 5 larger fowl rule is taken by my egg hens, so i could devote the brinsea to them full time).

I'm picturing leg bands on a set of "breeders" in each section, and putting the offspring on a lower cage for growing out. Unless a replacement shows some superior markings/traits, then they would replace one of the breeders. Basically breed the best and eat the rest.

It's past 3AM, and this all makes sence now, but if i'm not communicating well, let me know and I can rephrase things.
lol.png

Tks, Saddi

i have a couple breeding trio's , we dont eat the eggs so they all go into the incubator , if you incubate all of your eggs you will have plenty of birds to do with as you please if you get too many birds start making omelet's or pickled quail eggs

Back
Top Bottom