Quail Medicine Cabinet

maadroj

Songster
May 25, 2019
What medications do you keep ready for your quail? Do you give them anything regularly as a preventive measure, and if so, how frequently?

I have soluble bacitracin, Corid, dewormers (Safeguard, Wazine, Ivermectin), and water soluble penicillin; as well as BlueKote, Theracyn, and bacitracin ointment. Should I have anything else ready? How often do you treat for worm prevention? Should I give any of these other meds on a regular schedule to prevent UE, etc.

Thanks for the advice!

I do also have ACV. :rolleyes: How frequently do you use it? I've read conflicting recommendations.
Not as often as I would like. Ideally I would always have a tablespoon added per gallon of water. They are lucky to get it once in a while though because we always forget and don't keep it near the quail cage like we should.

I have soluble bacitracin, Corid, dewormers (Safeguard, Wazine, Ivermectin), and water soluble penicillin; as well as BlueKote, Theracyn, and bacitracin ointment. Should I have anything else ready?
A product to stop bleeding. I use one called "stop bleed", that they market for fighting cocks (I live in Panama). I don't have fighting cocks, but I do have the stop bleed product in case one of my cocks scalps a hen, or some other calamity strikes that involves bleeding. BlueKote comes in more than just blue... I keep a can of blue and a can of purple... (never red, like chickens, quail will pick on anything red). I frequently spritz some bluekote on the chest of my cocks so that I can readily identify them in the hutch... especially when they're not quite adults. This helps me identify the cocks from the hens, or one cock from another, that's not fully matured; it makes it easier for me to pay extra attention to their demeanor and how well they get along with the hens. It helps me decide if they're destined to become a breeder or dinner.

Back
Top Bottom