Quail newbie!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bubbazmommy, Apr 18, 2010.

1. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Songster

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    I have been reading alot of the posts about quail and now I have narrowd down my questions this:

I purchased 20 baby coutournix quail last weekend. They are Jumbo browns, Texas A&M's, and gold manchurin. At least that is what the guy told me.

I hope to breed them so where do I go from here. Do I need to get some from another breeder to breed with these? Or would it be OK to breed the Texas A&M with say the gold manchurian. Any advice?

I was hoping to house them in my extra chicken coop but is that plausibe? What would the ratio of males to females need to be? Or should I build different sections/cages in my coop to house them?

Thanks for your time.

2. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Songster

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    Sorry for the newbie questions but can anyone help?? Any info would be helpful and appreciated.

3. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:

4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    1 roo to 2-3 hens more can cuase issues with the hens
    I would not raise quail where chickens lived mainly on the fact chickens can pass disease to gamebirds
    Chickens carry these to no affect on them but deadly to games
    As far as the breeding you will probably be fine for now but would add from another source before building a larger flock
    Unless the breeder you got them from only has a few pair odds are theres no relation unless they have inbred for too long

5. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Songster

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    Thanks for the response. Now I can proceed with my planning. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: