quail not doing good

Ozarkhomesteader

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2014
Arkansas
I went out to take care of the quail and found one flipped on his back, calmly watching me. i separated him in a small cage with food and water, he eats and drinks normally, but has trouble walking, wobbly and falls over a lot. he also keeps getting poopy butt, which i am cleaning daily. He has been separated for about 4 days now. any ideas on what is causing it? Thanks!

He may have boinked his head on the ceiling. This can cause spinal cord damage or brain swelling. And this causes the bird to lose the ability to walk or stand properly. If the damage is not all that bad, usually after 4 or 5 days they do start to heal. If they hit hard enough, sometimes they don't heal.

Mareks Disease is also a possibility although is a bit rare in quail. Mareks is usually an issue with Chickens. But occasionally quail do contract it. Usually those that have access to dirt and ground that previously had Mareks disease on it.

If this is an older bird this could be arthritis. I have a very old male with arthritis in his hips and feet and he has quite the time walking. Sometimes he rolls to get to where he wants to go.

For now I would keep him separated and warm. Sick or injured birds get cold easily and cold birds don't heal well. Offer up some chopped, warmed hard boiled eggs. They are loaded with all the building blocks of life, lots of B vitamins, E and other things to help him heal. Make sure he can eat and drink ok and if you have to, you may need to hold him and dip his beak in the water every hour or hand feed him if he can't get to the feeder or waterer.

Good luck and I hope he makes a full recovery!

Thanks!! sadly, he died last night, but i think it was hitting his head.
Oh I am so so sorry!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom