Daox13

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 17, 2014
Richmond va
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,
I originally posted about getting a quail tractor...
Well I have it now.

Now i'm trying to figure out if moving them around the yard for fertilization of my yard is a good idea?

I'm really not so worried about my grass, More so the quail themselves. I know they can get parasites, but to me as long as they are moved every few days, I would imagine the grass and dirt would be much better for them then wet and soiled litter?

I plan on moving the pen every 2-3 days and washing the area down really good with a hose in order not to burn the grass.. I will also wipe the cage down and change out any interior bedding that is is needing changing.

I had the idea to just put wire mesh on the bottom and that way it will protect from predators from coming underneath and as well keep the Houdini's in haha. Would that work and has anyone tried it?

I'm open to other ideas the more the better!

I housed mine in a 50 by 50 yard and had a lot of under brush and stuff they would lay there eggs in. It worked great so I am sure it would work in a tractor to. Good luck!!!`

My only caution is that when moving it, make sure their little feet and toes are not being dragged under, or caught in, the wire. I have a wire rabbit cage with mesh at the bottom. I put them quail in it when I clean their coop out. I put them all in then carry them to a grassy area while I clean. Well, one time I noticed one of the quail was struggling and it turns out when I set it down, its toes were caught under the wire. If you were to drag the run it might hurt their feet in this way. But other than that I think a quail tractor would be awesome! :)

I had a thought my gandnpa has a rabbit tractor. When he moves it his wheels have a lever and the whole tractor comes off the ground and then when he stops he put the lever back down and the rabbits eat the grass.

What I planned on doing was putting them in a smaller cage while i'm cleaning, that way I don't have to worry about hurting them or them escaping...

I am still interested in figuring out a good watering system for them.. I have seen the different types you can get... does anyone has a preference for cleanliness and functionability?

What I planned on doing was putting them in a smaller cage while i'm cleaning, that way I don't have to worry about hurting them or them escaping...

I am still interested in figuring out a good watering system for them.. I have seen the different types you can get... does anyone has a preference for cleanliness and functionability?
I put the chicken waterer on bricks to elevate it above "poop level." It works great!

Back
Top Bottom