Quail Open leg fracture

kuchchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2015
Just found one of my 6 month old quail with an open leg fracture. I have no idea how it happened. The quail was in the coop with all of the others. I did not find any points that a predator could have breeched the wire. I have the small square fire floor and walls.

The fracture was actively bleeding and the bone was exposed. I cleaned the area and applied Blu Kote. I replaced the bone, splinted, and wrapped it as best I could. There must still be circulation to the foot because the color is still good. The bleeding appears to have stopped. I have her inside with a heat lamp for warmth against shock. I am also giving a broad spectrum antibiotic in the water as well as Poli Vi Sol with no iron. She is eating and drinking.

Does this girl have any chance?! Is there anything else I should be doing? Anything I am doing wrong? Any idea how this could have happened? Because I don't see any predator breech points I am wondering if maybe the foot somehow slipped through the squares and the bird panicked and broke its leg trying to get free?!

PLEASE HELP!!

You did the best possible things for her! There is not much else you can do. Give her food with many calories and a vitamin supplement. Check the wound from time to time to make sure she isnt developing a fever or an infection. Make sure she doesnt move too much and maybe dim the lights a little so she sleeps or at least rests. I dont think she will die from that. Those little ladys are much sturdier than other animals and they have a incredible self healing, almost like wolverine!

I wish you the best!

Anyone? My biggest concern at this point is cleaning the wound and changing the dressing. I did not think far enough ahead to devise a way to clean it without removing the splint. I know the wound should probably be cleaned daily but if I remove the splint to do so I know I will disturb whatever healing has occurred in the bone.

I dunno why my previous post was not added, but here we go again.

You did everything possible for your little fellow. She needs time to heal the fracture, so there isn't much you can do now.

Check her foot everyday. See if it gets hot, swollen or starts to stink.

If you want to change the dressing, carefully unwrap it and if its stuck, use some sterile saline or antibiotic oinment to loosen it without damaging the foot.

Monitor her very closely,mix some electrolytes and vitamins into her water and food and serve her her favorite dishes :)
she should be cured in no time since she has such a talented nurse. Birds have a very good self regeneration so don't worry too much.

best regards!

If I add vitamins and electrolytes to the water will it interfere with the antibiotics?

Thanks Kathy. I was going to message you today. It is the right tarsus just below the joint. My concern my inability to clean that wound daily without disturbing the fracture. She's hopping and getting around good. Eating and drinking normally. I just hope I aligned the bone well enough and can stay off the infection with antibiotics. If I can I think she will be fine. It was a pretty bad break. The sole of the foot looks a little darker today. I am hoping it is bruising and not a circulation issue.

I did find that site last night and was what I had primarily been referencing. Ty!!!

Back
Top Bottom