Quail outside with tent

TheQuailKid

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2024
Hello! I want to bring my quail outside, but they are at risk of flying away or another dog attacking them. I saw a neat video where someone was playing with their quail in a large tent. Does anyone know if this would work? And are there any links?

I have handled them for at least an hour a day from 2 days old. I bring them out in a small flight pen, but I think it is too small for them and am wanting a way to make it larger.

Again, I am just trying to get some ideas for how to interact with my quail. They love being outside, but due to the predators, we haven't got a coop for them outside yet. I checked out your youtube channel a bit, how do you interact with your quail and chickens Nabiki?

I don't interact much with my quail. They're livestock, and I couldn't butcher an animal that I've named. Even Westley only gets handled once a week for the videos now that his daily updates are done. He really doesn't like being handled. The rest of my quail live in their pens with their boxes to hide in, dirt to bathe in, and they live their lives.

In my walk in pen, most of the quail don't interact with me much, but I have one male who comes up to be petted when I feed him.

As for the chickens, they are very new to me. I know that chickens are far tamer than quail, so I've made a point to talk to and handle them daily, and they are quite happy to step up into my hands for a bit of attention. When they're older, they're going to go outside, and I expect to interact with them when I'm in the yard or taking care of them. I will let them come to me, for the most part. Most small animals prefer to meet with you on their terms. Dogs are about the only exception I can think of to that rule.

If you want to interact with your quail, a walk in aviary would probably be your best bet. Make a space where you can sit comfortably, and hang out with them and offer them some treats. Let them come to you. If they want to hide, let them hide. They're prey animals, so they scare very easily.

One of the best things you can do for any animal is to learn what it IS, not what you want it to be, and treat it accordingly. For example, if you treat a cat like a dog, the cat is likely to avoid you, hiss at you, and scratch you. If you treat it like a cat, however, it will spend time in your lap, purr for you, and sleep with you.

Quail are small, prey animals, so you want to make things as non-threatening for them as they can. Provide them with safe spaces and let them come out only when they feel safe. They will often appear active in open areas because they are actively looking for places to hide.

One of the best things you can do for any animal is to learn what it IS, not what you want it to be, and treat it accordingly. For example, if you treat a cat like a dog, the cat is likely to avoid you, hiss at you, and scratch you. If you treat it like a cat, however, it will spend time in your lap, purr for you, and sleep with you.

Quail are small, prey animals, so you want to make things as non-threatening for them as they can. Provide them with safe spaces and let them come out only when they feel safe. They will often appear active in open areas because they are actively looking for places to hide.
👆 Kinda sounds like quail aren't for you, I would maybe suggest you do away with/rehome your quail or just keep them in their own enclosure. And research other birds/animals that may fit your wants/needs rather than trying to adapt the bird/animal to fit yours. I am sure you have only best intentions for your birds/animals but to be a good bird/animal keeper you have to meet the needs of what you are raising to keep them (Safe and Happy, Healthy) no matter what our use for them is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom