Quail Owners! Brooder thoughts please (Pic)

Buster

Back to Work
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
The Frozen Wasteland of Idaho
I just set up this Brower brooder and plan on brooding my Jumbo Coturnix quail in it. I taped up the back opening where the food dish should go because they are too small to reach the food anyway. I also put newspaper over the wire mesh because I was worried their feet would get stuck in the holes.

My next worries are these- will the waterer be too high? I will be able to judge that as soon as I put them in and take care of it as needed.

Mostly I'm worried about the gap you can see in the back corner between the mesh and the brooder wall where the mesh can be removed. Any suggestions on how to block that so the babies can't get out?

Thanks!

BrowerBrooder004.jpg

Ok it was even simpler than I thought- I just bent the wire up to accommodate the gap. Any other thoughts before I put these babies in the brooder? I am just waiting for the temperature to stabilize now.

It would be better if you could put paper towels on the floor instead of the newspaper. Newspaper gets pretty slick when it gets wet. And can cause there legs to spread to far injuring them

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing then I pictured a quail chick stuck
to it.
roll.png

The quail get into every little spot they can.

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing then I pictured a quail chick stuck
to it.
roll.png

The quail get into every little spot they can.

I hope I got everything sealed up good. I'll have to watch for a while. I duct taped the things I did with the sticky side out so they don't get stuck to it. They same thing went through my head too.

Back
Top Bottom