Quail (Pics on page 2)

in south carolina where i'm at you can move them outside at 4 weeks, as long as age groups stay together, when i bought my quails they were 4 1/2 weeks, they went straight outside with no issues..

7 weeks, they should be almost full size and laying(possibly)

Quote:
Got to with Mibo here, I spanked some 3 week olds out side a few weeks ago and they are just fine... I did wonder if I was pushing it a bit. They did just fine thou. Bill

Quote:
at 5 weeks id be turning the lights off during the day and just on at night... begin weaning them off the lamps very soon.... by 7 weeks they should be considered your breeders... 7-12 weeks is when my coturnix begin laying and breeding.

it also depends on the person
wink.png

can anybody help with seeing what color the birds are? Or are they still Rangers? I have them in my garage. They are under a heat lamp. It is below 50F tonight :O I was shocked. I KNow They can make it on their own, They have been outside for two days now. But I want to do the process of Not alot of lamp light. I just realized that they love to eat, I know they are in their teenager stage. Their Favorite thing to do is play in the water and make it spill every where. They are smaller than I thought, but I still enjoy them. I was out their for 30 minutes watching them. Just amazing birds

They are Tibetan or what some call Range. They tend to have some little white patches now and again. I do like it when they are solid. If they were a lighter red or bronze they would be called Rosetta. Go to Quaillady's page. She has an educational website as to the colors. Also, make sure you read the very first post on this Quail forum called a Sticky. It contains most of the information you would seek on the general care and points of interest on Coturnix Quail. There used to be a poster on the forum named Peewee...she had some gorgeous pics of various colors of her birds...absolutely gorgeous...belonged in Nat. Geographic so pretty. Search for Pee Wee and Quaillady and read the top post sticky and you will catch up to speed.

Welcome. You will enjoy them and their antics. Don't take an attack personally. They are harmless and are only puffing up (my son of 5 yrs old laughs and we say Porcupine!!!! when we see them do the defense puff). Feed them a meal worm and you will have little buddies in no time flat. Some get on my hand if I place it in the cage flat with meal worms on it. Some brave littles climb right up and scratch my hand as if it were the dirt, hoping to "dig up more meal worms!" Cute.

Go slow and associate your hand in the cage with food and they will be all over ya. Literally.
wink.png

Tonya

Quote:
Thanks,
big_smile.png
I didn't really take the attack personally, I just thought it was cute, And wanted to share. I don't have meal worms On me at the moment... Can I use other worms instead? I do have to go to the store anyway, I will some up.

Back
Top Bottom