quail problem- very concerned

Discussion in 'Quail' started by hollyrocker, Aug 23, 2013.

1. hollyrocker

hollyrocker Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    England
    After moving my girl into the lower section of the shed she hasn't been the same. She began banging her head on the roof which had me very concerned- I narrowed it down to the fact she was on the same level as the guinea pigs which had spooked her. Since covering the guinea cage she has stopped the head banging.

This was on Sunday. Ever since, I've noticed that she can only open her left eye - her right eye has gradually closed in the days since, and now she won't open it at all. Could this be due to the head bang session on Sunday? Like, a head ache if that's possible? I don't want to stress her out further by trying to grab her, she is very shy.

Any help and advice is appreciated as I am worried :-(

2. lewee

lewee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    i have a few wth 1 closed eye, some from pecking, some unknown, but, all still lay an carry on normally, doesnt seem to bother them. she'll be ok

3. hollyrocker

May 9, 2013
    England
    Ah thankyou, that is reassuring. She not laid in a few days- maybe due to the guinea pig shock?

4. lewee

lewee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    yes, any kind of shock, relocation, ect, will throw a "kink" in the laying, time will bring her back

5. hollyrocker

May 9, 2013
    England
    Phew :) thank you

6. hollyrocker

May 9, 2013
    England
    A little more worried after this morning- she's not eaten at all, usually they flock to their food but she's wandering round. She's also sneezing, which I've never seen the others do.

7. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Sneezing can be from dust getting up their nose; maybe bedding from the guinea pigs, or dust from the shed? (Just a wild guess)
    Otherwise, it could be a respiratory problem if you see any discharge from the nose.

You could try to lure her to some food, say, give her a treat. My quail go crazy (well, only three of my hens) over crumbled egg shell (from boiled eggs) and mixed budgie seeds, they also love fruits and veggies. It could tempt her to eat, if you're concerned that she's not eating anything.
    Or, maybe she's just eating when you're not there, you can feel the crop gently to check if she's eating anything.

8. hollyrocker

May 9, 2013
    England
    Thank you. Unfortunately she's not even going for the treats im putting in, and the eye is looking worse. She keeps scratching it so it must be irritating her. I will have to try and catch her to bathe it

9. hollyrocker

May 9, 2013
    England
    Had to separate them as not improving - been bathing her eyes with salt water for 4 days, still no improvement. She's now walking around with both eyes closed, banging into things. I have no idea what else I can do :-(

10. Sess

Sess Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2013
    You need to get her to an exotic vet or get her some antibiotic for animals it could be an infection but just to be safe you should have her checked out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by