Quail Question

Sachasmom

Songster
10 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Upstate NY
So, I have just a few Quail left alive from my auction purchase a few months ago.
sad.png
They were not in the best of condition, and it was COLD at the auction, and lots of them were young (those all died) I lost two more last week when I was away, I *think* the issue there is feed. Its cold here in NY, and will be colder still soon!

They're obviously not doing well on layer (18%) and the best I can find here so far is 24% chick starter. (They seem to do better on that) Anyone have any feed suggestions? Is 24% good enough? I read on some sites they needed like 30%, only I cannot find 30% feed, the feed store has medicated 28% turkey starter, can I use that?

Or suggestions as to what I need to add to the 24% to make it better?

I also failed miserably at hatching Quail eggs, out of six dozen I hatched TWO (not two dozen, just two) and only one lived. Its a heathy little critter living in my living room, about three weeks old. Can it go outside to join the rest I haven't killed yet? :O

A friend of mine had a bunch of her Quail outside in a little hutch, and they seemed fine, and were laying (mine aren't, I think there are still a couple females left) What am I doing wrong? Mine are in the garage, please tell me I don't have to have Quail in the house all winter!

For the three week old, I would wait until it's at least another two weeks old, or when it gets warmer. Sorry i cant help you with anything else.
hmm.png

Sorry about your losses
sad.png

Mine do fine on either the 24% or the 30%. I also have a problem with finding high protein feed.
I tried the layer feed and will not go back to it. It was the same price as the 30% and I lost egg production on it.

What spices of quail are we talking about first?

How old?

What temp. ?

Generally speaking, anything 20%+ protein should be fine. 24% chick starter should be fine for most spices of quail. The higher the protein the better, just make sure it is in the proper format...crumbles, and not pellets.

Young birds don't just up and die over a few percents of protein, it's usually over a heat issue, a medical, or housing problem.
Mature birds may need special feed to grow to their best weight, lay eggs, etc...

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but quail are not chickens. Quail come in several different spices. Knowing the species actually helps other people with knowledge of that species to offer help.

My quail are coturnix quail. Not just my quail.

We couldn't find high protein non-medicated feed locally either. I asked at the co-op where we buy our dog food if they could maybe order me the Purina Startena for gamebirds since I saw they carried other Purina products and they can and do! My quail are doing so much better on that than they were the other stuff we were getting. So it may be a good idea to ask at places like co-ops or feed/grain stores/mills to see if they can possibly order it- especially if they already carry Purina products. Yes the Startena is a little more per bag than the basic chick starter, etc. but again- my birds do a whole lot better on it and alot less picking/fighting on the higher protein.

The other thing that has greatly helped reduce our costs was buying the quail feeders that LilRalphieRoo's mom had suggested on this board. I am shocked at by how much feed I'm NOT going through anymore. I knew they were spilling but never realized exactly how much- no spilling now!

Kristi

Back
Top Bottom