quail questions from a quail virgin.

Josh45640

Songster
9 Years
Apr 1, 2011
SE Ohio
I have never raised quail but I would like to get some eggs to hatch and raise. My main purpose is for eggs and meat. Mainly just eggs, but I realize that there will be extra males so they will go to the freezer. What do I know? I should add that I have been raising chickens for about 15 years or so, so im not completely clueless.
tongue.png

I know that you shouldnt raise quail and chickens together. I was thinking that the cotournix is what will be the best for eggs and meat. I was also thinking of raising some bobwhites to release for hunting on my property (I know the DNR regs on this, have done it with pheasants). Will the cotournix and bobwhites get along long enough for the bobwhites to feather out?

At about what age to cotournix start to lay? Are they the best for egg production? At what rate do they lay? What is their life expectancy? will the same laying mix that I feed my chickens be ok for the quail? Will chick starter be ok to start them on? Do they need laying boxes for eggs?

Any information is appriciated.

No Bobs And Coturnix Do Not Make Good Bedfellows
sad.png

As Far As Coturnix Theres A Wealth Of General Care And Maintence Info Right Here At The Top Of The Forum In The Sticky Section "coturnix Basics" You'll Find That Useful.

As General Rules Of Thumb (individual Rates May Vary) Coturnix Mature And Reproduce At About 8 Wks Of Age. Each Hen Is Capable Of Producing Approx 300 Eggs Per Yr And Life Spans Vary Greatly From Bird To Bird As Associated With Care And Husbandry Practices

Feed--- Gamebird Formula Is Required, Not Chicken Feed Of Any Type As It Doesnt Contain The Proper Elements To Be Complete Nutrition, Coturnix Need Higher Protien Levels Than Most Other Poultry, Something In The 28-30% Range Formulated For Them Is Best

Thanks. I saw the cotournix thread after I typed this.
big_smile.png

DO you think that cotournix is the best breed for meat and eggs? I really dont care about anything else. I dont care about noise, personality, looks, etc. Strictly egg and meat production and ease of raising are my goals.

Welcome and Hello there, I am relatively new.

best start is here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=282488

then try www.stellargamebirds.com when you want a reality check on your quail knowledge. keeps me humble.

and then keep clicking around.

to answer what I can;

Will the cotournix and bobwhites get along long enough for the bobwhites to feather out? negative ghostrider, like cowboys and indians- someone is losing a scalp.

At about what age to cotournix start to lay? 42+ days

Are they the best for egg production? absolutely the best bird ever made.

At what rate do they lay? at peak, about one egg per day ~300/year

What is their life expectancy? 2-5+ years

will the same laying mix that I feed my chickens be ok for the quail? negative ghostrider, Game Bird Starter $16/50# bag, learn the acronym "GBS" say it 3 times fast, GBS, GBS, GBS.

Will chick starter be ok to start them on? negative ghostrider, see above post. what does GBS stand for?

Do they need laying boxes for eggs? seems like they can drop 'em without stopping, but mine do lay in the sandboxes and hay trays usually.

correct me if I am wrong, please, just my 2 cents, TD

For Meat And Eggs Coturnix Cannot Be Beat In The Gamebird World... They Are The Production Birds Of The Gamebird Speces... I Refer To Them Often As "roaches Of The Quail World" And Not In A Bad Way
smile.png

Thanks for the help guys! Now I need to start looking for some eggs! I think I saw some ads in the local classifieds not too long ago.

My father-in-law and I started off with 54 texas a&m pharoh last march they were just ready to start laying when we got them. By the end of july we had over 1200 and were giving away hundreds of eggs to friends. They are the fastest growing and breeding birds I have ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom