Quail Rooster and Chicks

BELLAPURPLEWOW

Chirping
May 12, 2018
Hi, I have a question about my quail. I am going to be hatching about 20 baby quail chicks, and want my rooster and hen to teach them how to be... well... quail. I know that the roosters will fight to the death over another rooster, but will he harm my chicks? Will he be able to tell if they're male or female.

I don't put babies with adults. Unless they were hatched by mom but I remove males. Why? Males suck as dad's.
My males usually attack the babies and try to put all their feathers out. They like to swing them around by their tiny feet.
The females also can suck as parents too. I had one go broody and aBandon her baby. I had another drag the baby out of the nest and 5 of them piled on top of it, dust bathing on it and pecked it's eye out.
Never again. They don't go with the big guys until they are big enough to handle themselves.
I own 20 plus quail.

I don't put babies with adults. Unless they were hatched by mom but I remove males. Why? Males suck as dad's.
My males usually attack the babies and try to put all their feathers out. They like to swing them around by their tiny feet.
The females also can suck as parents too. I had one go broody and aBandon her baby. I had another drag the baby out of the nest and 5 of them piled on top of it, dust bathing on it and pecked it's eye out.
Never again. They don't go with the big guys until they are big enough to handle themselves.
I own 20 plus quail.
Ik that quail can be awful parents lol... I wanted the babies to be able to act like quail. I think I have a plan on what to do now! Im for sure not putting them together! Thank you for your info though! Im about to hatch 30 eggs. And will probably end up with at least 20 babies!

I own 20 plus quail.
I put the quail as a pair in a large cage. I had already learned that more than a pair probably would lead to disappointment. Once brooding began the male was removed. The hen did a good job raising the chicks. The two times she nested the chicks were weaned at 9 days old. It was these young quail that I put with the male. It worked well. I would never put new chicks with the adult male; or a female that hadn't hatched them. I 'm quite sure the chicks would not last long.

Could be that I just got lucky.

Back
Top Bottom