quail run upgrade

Rozza

In the Brooder
May 21, 2020
Wodonga, Australia
OK so originally i was going to use this run as a temporary until i built a fixed spot run but now am thinking i may upgrade it instead as i like that its move able
i am going to remove everything
i want to give it wheels which will be clip on move then detach or able to be put up and down
and i will be using some sort of metal spray paint that can go over rust
cage dimensions are 1x2x1.5m high

i was hoping for some input on any of this
sides could be 40 mm gap chicken wire, corrugated iron roofing or clear plastic over chicken wire
roof will probably stay as corrugated iron

at door end was probably going to bring it out 30 cm and make a small openable door for treat feeding ease
at other end was going to maybe build at small raised platform with ramp straw, 8 watt heat mat and external access

was hoping to do relatively cheap and have access to power tools and some free materials (to be permanently borrowed from parents) Shhhh!

PS. i have 5 normal quail ATM and 47 jumbo and 12 king quail eggs in an incubator (i expect a low hatch rate as of cheap incubator and posted eggs)

also would love ideas as to solar light that will attract bugs at night as well as solar lights with auto on and off timer (to get 14 hrs of light per day)

Attachments

• F5FBDE35-A494-48FD-A72A-D1989E6E23C3.jpeg
    F5FBDE35-A494-48FD-A72A-D1989E6E23C3.jpeg
    666.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 1DD46194-484C-4011-80A1-F052E3302320.jpeg
    1DD46194-484C-4011-80A1-F052E3302320.jpeg
    750.9 KB · Views: 11
OK so originally i was going to use this run as a temporary until i built a fixed spot run but now am thinking i may upgrade it instead as i like that its move able
i am going to remove everything
i want to give it wheels which will be clip on move then detach or able to be put up and down
and i will be using some sort of metal spray paint that can go over rust
cage dimensions are 1x2x1.5m high

i was hoping for some input on any of this
sides could be 40 mm gap chicken wire, corrugated iron roofing or clear plastic over chicken wire
roof will probably stay as corrugated iron

at door end was probably going to bring it out 30 cm and make a small openable door for treat feeding ease
at other end was going to maybe build at small raised platform with ramp straw, 8 watt heat mat and external access

was hoping to do relatively cheap and have access to power tools and some free materials (to be permanently borrowed from parents) Shhhh!

PS. i have 5 normal quail ATM and 47 jumbo and 12 king quail eggs in an incubator (i expect a low hatch rate as of cheap incubator and posted eggs)

also would love ideas as to solar light that will attract bugs at night as well as solar lights with auto on and off timer (to get 14 hrs of light per day)
1) get a better incubator- give those eggs a fighting chance!
2) make sure to give them somewhere to hide and feel safe
3) keep us posted!
I am new and don’t know enough to help TTOC any further. I have ideas but they are not educated!

1) get a better incubator- give those eggs a fighting chance!
2) make sure to give them somewhere to hide and feel safe
3) keep us posted!
I am new and don’t know enough to help TTOC any further. I have ideas but they are not educated!
yeah so i as for the incubator i thought i had solved the problem but hadnt and the eggs were set once these are done i am going to either try again to fix it or just replace it
i was thinking hoverbator cheap but good (have used one before)

Chicken wire isn't going to work very well. I may keep the birds in, but it won't keep predators out. Pretty much everything likes to eat quail.

Definitely keep little hiding places around for them rather than a ramp. Quail are ground birds, and while some might use a ramp, most won't.
the gauge of chicken wire i will get will be plenty strong enough for the predators i need to keep out the only thing that may get in is snakes but they are practically impossible to stop

im aware that they are not the fondest of ramps but figured i would try
will probably use there food to encourage them up and give them warmth and bedding but idk really?

i was hoping for in put and ideas for what to cover the sides with
im going to wrap the whole thing in a mesh wire
should i cover half with corrugated iron and half plastic (for sun bit less weather) or just leave as the wire

may re-post in the general coop and run thread

Ground space (square footage) with hiding spots is most important for quail and best covering is half inch hardware cloth to keep quail in and predators out. If mobility is important, then tractor or hoop coop style would be best conversion to consider. If a fixed aviary with height for you to stand is desired, I have been very happy with my main aviary as well as my newest pergola style aviary. as roofing goes, I prefer corrugated vinyl vs metal

never heard it called hardware cloth before but googled it
i probably should have said the chicken wire i am talking about is not the local hardware stuff it is designed for fencing on farms we use it for cows
its thicker then the standard grade with smaller holes once i tek screw it to the metal frame the only way in will be to dig or through the door

thanks for the idea of the vinyl didn't think of that i may stick to the iron roof but may use it for the sides

am now think i will cover 1/3 of the front and all of the left and back sides

thanks

Good luck with your build, but I I do think you need to pay more attention to what people have already said about using 1/2 inch chicken wire/hardware cloth (It comes from a place of knowledge and love). Search BYC for "rats and quail" and "snakes and quail". As @Nabiki has already said "everything loves to eat quail". Snakes and rats will not just happen upon them, take one and wonder off. Once found they will set up home nearby and will be back every night. It will be devastating for you.

Back
Top Bottom