quail scalped.... HELP

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
so I have 4 quail that just turned 5 weeks on Wed. They are in a bin since I am not planning on keeping them was just waiting to see what color eggs the females lay, since they may be celadon, before selling them. Well I know for sure I have 1 male and 1 female. Thinking the other 2 may be female as well..... Noticed last night the male chasing the others around but they were too fast for him and when I saw he never caught them. Fast forward to about 7 hrs later and one is scalped...... and yes scalped or at the very least all feathers plucked out on her head and bleeding. I am assuming that I should clean it, I have some vetericyn spray so should I spray that on it? I can TRY to separate the bin and think I hopefully have another feed and water source that the single one can figure out for water, are the old enough that if I put a plastic container of water in there they won't drown in it? LOL

my main thing is do I separate the male for now so he doesn't do it to the other 2? or do I separate the injured one? I know chickens will go after the blood are quail the same way? I am going away today and wont' be home till Sun. My daughter is keeping an eye and feeding and giving them water but not sure how comfortable she will be with caring for injuries........ UGH!

Can you post a pic of the injuries? She needs to be separated. I wouldn't bother with trying to clean or medicate the wounds, she will heal just fine on her own. As long as it's not a mortal wound, quail can heal themselves fairly quickly without any intervention from humans.

Can you post a pic of the injuries? She needs to be separated. I wouldn't bother with trying to clean or medicate the wounds, she will heal just fine on her own. As long as it's not a mortal wound, quail can heal themselves fairly quickly without any intervention from humans.
It is bad!!!! This is the best I could get. I have her separated now.

Attachments

• received_247487041084848.jpeg
    received_247487041084848.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 50
Also post a picture of the bin you are keeping them in?
It is my old chick brooder. I will get measurements too. Right now I just have her in that box so she is separated until I can make a divider with HWC.

It is 28" x 17". A friend with quail said it was big enough for a couple months.

Attachments

• IMG_20230728_102642983.jpg
    IMG_20230728_102642983.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
She'll be okay. Just keep her isolated in a dim area for a couple days. You may consider inviting your male to dinner, though.
Is it like a cockerel that they are a bit overzealous when they first start and then calm down? They just turned 5 weeks on Wed. Or is it something that if rough they stay that way. Once I know for sure who is female and what color eggs they lay I will be selling them.

It is bad!!!! This is the best I could get. I have her separated now.
Yep, looks bad but it will heal....may take a couple or 3 months but it will heal over and you won't be able to tell she was ever scalped!

I've had them scalped by raccoons, to were you could see bare skull, nearly the whole head and they healed. Took about 3 to 4 months.

She'll be okay. Just keep her isolated in a dim area for a couple days. You may consider inviting your male to dinner, though.
Yeah I was finally able to take care of my extra males sadly wasn’t able to do it before one got scalped I was doing it and than realized one of the hens was scalped I was planning on doing it 2 days ago then had to go somewhere and had to go somewhere yesterday as well was able to take care of them today they should make a good dinner tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom