quail scalped.... HELP

Is it like a cockerel that they are a bit overzealous when they first start and then calm down? They just turned 5 weeks on Wed. Or is it something that if rough they stay that way. Once I know for sure who is female and what color eggs they lay I will be selling them.
They do calm down with age, but personally, I don't keep aggressive birds. If he's aggressive enough to scalp a hen, he goes. I breed for temperament as much as anything else.

Her head looks much better but she now seems to hold her head tilted to the side and facing up some. Very unsteady on her feet so goes in circles. She wants back in with the rest, but thinking she isn't ready for that yet.

Her head looks much better but she now seems to hold her head tilted to the side and facing up some. Very unsteady on her feet so goes in circles. She wants back in with the rest, but thinking she isn't ready for that yet.
That sounds something like a concussion to me. Hopefully she will get better soon and didn't suffer permanent brain injury.

That sounds something like a concussion to me. Hopefully she will get better soon and didn't suffer permanent brain injury.
I hope not. I will post a pic. It still looks nasty in the picture and can't tell if she lost the eye or if it is just caked with dried blood. Should I try to clean the dried blood or leave it?

Attachments

• received_964684034782585.jpeg
    received_964684034782585.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 11
  • received_1010861070337719.jpeg
    received_1010861070337719.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 10
I hope not. I will post a pic. It still looks nasty in the picture and can't tell if she lost the eye or if it is just caked with dried blood. Should I try to clean the dried blood or leave it?
She seems reasonably calm, so I would rinse it off with saline solution so you can see how bad the injury is. Keeping wounds clean really does help them heal faster.

She seems reasonably calm, so I would rinse it off with saline solution so you can see how bad the injury is. Keeping wounds clean really does help them heal faster.
I will have to pick some up tomorrow. Do I just rinse it down her head? or get the spray and try to use it to just spray it? She isn't super calm when I hold her and tries to flap all over and fly away from me, but hopefully.

I will have to pick some up tomorrow. Do I just rinse it down her head? or get the spray and try to use it to just spray it? She isn't super calm when I hold her and tries to flap all over and fly away from me, but hopefully.
You want to rinse all the blood and dirt off. You want it clean. If it stresses her too much, skip it, but it's always better to be clean when you're dealing with wounds.

Back
Top Bottom