Quail set up cage inside set out side during the day will this work?

Jun 28, 2021
This is my first time quail raising and first discussion. Much of my success was through reading posts here about specific questions, I am so grateful to have this resource, thank you. My apologies in advance for lengthiness.

I live in Southern California, San Diego to be exact. Very mild weather, I want to provide a more natural environment for my quail. I will be raising for eggs and meat and only want them to have 1 bad day. We have 1/2 acre with lots of wild life and birds due to my back yard having a large garden and natural wild landscape. During my research it became apparent that raising outside might be dangerous and attract predators. I purchased a chicken coop/run to convert to a living area for the quail, still on the fence on what to do, that's where you come in. Additionally I was concerned as to how I would be able to access and keep the area clean. I did a little more research and changed course; purchased the Hatching Time system to be able to pull the quail into the garage in the evening, the side door is right where the coop could go.

Here's where things get tricky. I had them in a make shift brooder which was fine, then had to bump up to a much larger box with a screen on top giving the growing covey space; I have 1 dozen jumbo (White, Pharoah and Egyptian). On this move to the large box I added grape leaves, nasturtium flowers/leaves, basil and other bolting lettuce cuttings. I swear it was like that moment in The Wizard of OZ when it goes from black and white to color, lol for them. It was a truly special moment to see them get so excited to check things out and well...act like birds.

My plan for the cage system now is to cut the interior walls to provide 3 cages as 1 per group (times 2 levels). I have 4 Pharoah roos and 3 small Egyptian fee of course the whites I cannot tell but there are only 5, these little guys are 1.5 weeks give or take 2 days. Hoping the whites will provide more females so I have at least another 3 hens. That would leave 4 roos in the grow out pen, perfect. I would like to add a couple females to the 2 groups. Otherwise I'll have to keep all hens to one rooster and start all over.

I think I have the cage set up covered, it's the coop set up and movement that make me nervous. I believe the coop 4 sq ft with run having approx 10 square feet of floor space and then their is the roost box but they probably won't go up from what I've read without me putting the in there.

If I put the 2 covey sets in the run at one time will that be an issue? That would be two roos and hopefully 6+ females. Then there is the grow out roos, should they get pen time? I'm thinking it would be wise to either add their own ground space or block off, if yes.

If you have experience with a set up like this I would really appreciate some guidance. If for some reason I end up with only 2 white hens, I'll put them all together and maybe rotate out the roos.

Is it weird to set up the quail at night in the cages or if we have to go away for a few days to keep them safe. Then letting them be outside in the coop during the day. I really can't see a life in a small cage, at least for me.

Attached some photos of my new little ones.

Thank you again for your time and any wisdom you can provide.

Tammy

Attachments

• IMG_9907.jpg
    IMG_9907.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9906.jpg
    IMG_9906.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 25
  • tempImageltfqyb.png
    tempImageltfqyb.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 31
Your setup is going to be too small to put two covey groups together in your outdoor pen. It sounds like you plan to move them back and forth between your run during the day and the cages at night? That is going to stress your birds.

It sounds like you have a lot of space, can you give them a largish aviary type of setting? This is how I have mine set up. The pens get moved every couple of months, which doesn't seem to stress my birds much.

0913201008.jpg

If you change their surroundings too often, it can cause stress. You would either want a larger secure aviary setting if you want to keep multiple coveys outside or a setup like @Nabiki has. I personally have a large aviary with approximately 60+ coturnix with other birds. They acclimate and do very well outdoors.

I'm in your area with the same type of property. My quail are 100% outside. 1/2" hardware cloth is your best defense against the predators, and fencing/screening your yard or just the quail area will help.

Two roos with 10-12 hens in a large pen only sometimes works for me. Really you want one roo per pen except for the grow outs, and 1.5-2 sqft per bird for happy quail.

I want to grow slow, so I can understand their needs and not overwhelm myself. I think I'm going to have to commit to the aviary style enclosure. I'm sure my husband would love to build one more thing for me lol.

No coop, that's going back. I believe I'll keep the cage system for the great brooder set up and use the rest for grow outs. Thank you

If you change their surroundings too often, it can cause stress. You would either want a larger secure aviary setting if you want to keep multiple coveys outside or a setup like @Nabiki has. I personally have a large aviary with approximately 60+ coturnix with other birds. They acclimate and do very well outdoors.
Thank you, aviary it is. I do not want to stress them out that's the exact opposite of what I want to do, I had a feeling it might not work.

Back
Top Bottom