Quail shed instead of a pen

Fishkeeper

Crowing
Oct 30, 2017
Central Texas
I've been reading about how coturnix quail are kept, and it seems like a lot of people keep them in small pens to keep them away from things like predators and parasites. I'd like to keep a flock of them, but I want them in a more natural setup, and in something I can walk into and sit down in.
The solution to both the predator issue and the parasite issue seem to be a solid bottom, wood or concrete, that nothing could get up through.

I'm imagining kind of a modified storage shed. Wooden or concrete floor, then wooden walls about two feet tall, so no predators could reach through and grab one. It'd probably have an all-wooden wall on the South side to block the worst of the sun, and a solid roof, but it'd have mesh on at least one of the walls to let some sunlight and fresh air in. The door would have a foot-tall barrier across it so they couldn't run out when I opened it, and I'm not sure exactly how large the shed would be, but it'd definitely be at least 6-7 feet tall so they couldn't hurt their silly little heads trying to fly out.
To keep things clean, I'd cover the floor in a few inches of sand, and scoop out the poopy bits every day or so, like how people keep reptile enclosures clean.
I'd also give them a heap of straw in one corner to dig in, and probably a big pile of sterilized topsoil in another corner that I could try to grow some plants in. I figure sunflowers might be big and durable enough to not be eaten, if I could find a way to keep them happy, or I could try some sort of shrubbery.
I'd probably give them some thick branches to climb and hop on, and definitely a couple of hollow logs they could hide in. They'd have a little house at one end, and, in addition to the standard feeders, I'd throw slightly larger feed (sunflower seeds?) around now and then for them to scratch around for.

Would this work out for a batch of coturnix quail? I want them mostly as pets. I'd like to be able to walk in, gather up a couple eggs, and then sit and watch the quail. I'd be willing to get another kind of quail if they'd work better for a Texas quail pen, but I'm looking for something that's easy to tame and would be willing to interact with me.

Coturnix would love all that space and they are fabulous pets! Rather than a barrier at the door you could just have a safety door like you would on an aviary, as I've had a coturnix quail flush on me when I opened the door and go sailing over the neighbour's fence. He did come back all on his own though (but I'm in New Zealand where there are very few predators). You could have it more open on the sides but just have solid walls around the base a couple of feet up or so to prevent predators reaching in. The quarter inch hardware cloth would be best as that keeps most mice out (except for little ones as I found out with my aviary).

It may be easier to use bedding of some description (straw or shavings) and change the lot periodically. You have to be careful with sand because of the silica dust which can get into your lungs causes Silicosis, especially seeing as your enclosure would be quite enclosed.

You could sprout trays of alfalfa and sunflower seedlings for them, both of which they love. They also love a bit of bird seed sprinkled on the ground as a treat.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I'll go with a safety door. Maybe use the little area between as storage for bird supplies.

I've read about using very small mesh to keep snakes out, and I think I might also line the outside of the wooden walls with the mesh, to be sure no rats could chew their way in. Maybe even lay it down under the floor, just to be certain.

If sawdust would work, I'll go with that instead. Or straw, whichever turns out to be easiest to get at the time. I could use that in composting, too.

I'm planning to have a large frog of some sort, probably a horned frog, so I'll have a mealworm culture to feed said frog. I assume mealworms would be The Best Treats for quail.

If I wanted to keep another species of bird with them, something pretty and decorative rather than a pet, what would you suggest? I know different species of quail are OK together. Is there a species that's kept as an ornamental?

Also, is there an amount of space that I could have which would allow me to keep more than the recommended number of roosters without any trouble? I'd like to be able to raise some from chicks, but I really don't want to have to cull any roosters. I can't kill something that cute that I've raised from a baby.

When they have a lot of space with things to break up the line of sight you can get away with more roosters, even a 1:1 ratio. But do keep an eye on them as some roosters are more aggressive. You could set up a bachelor pad but it has to be away from the females as otherwise you'll have them crowing a lot, trying to attract a mate.

You could put finches or ring neck doves in with them without stealing any of their floor space. I've had Button quail and coturnix together but I think the Buttons were stressed by that. Other species of quail can be very wild and bobwhite can be aggressive towards each other so can only be kept in pairs.

Quail love mealworms! Just don't overdo it as they are quite fatty.

Oh, I love finches! I'll keep them in mind depending on how big the pen ends up being. I really like the look of star finches, and they're peaceful, reasonably hardy birds.

I'm assuming a bunch of thin branches and ropes for the finches to land on wouldn't be dangerous to the quail if they jump?

I've been reading up on temperature regulation for outdoor aviaries. Texas summers can get over 100 degrees, though that means we don't tend to get freezing temps more than a few times a year. For summer, I'm thinking of rigging up a fan (outside the wire) and one of those misting systems over one part of the pen so there'd be cooler spot, I'd set up the solid sides of the pen to block the sunlight, and they'd have a few boxes to sit inside.
I'd also give both species insulated, size-and-location-appropriate boxes to sit in when it got cold, and I could put in a heat lamp if needed. I'd make the boxes a few feet across so they'd have some room to move around inside, and I could throw in a few toys.

Do coturnix quail like toys? I could give them things like dry corncobs and food to scuffle for, and I could also give them less natural toys like balls or bells if they like that sort of thing. I'm not sure if they have entertainment needs beyond basic foraging stuff.

We've found coturnix like to burrow into the straw and they love to dustbathe. And food is always fun! We haven't tried any other types of toys.

They seem pretty heat hardy but it may slow down their laying (not that we get as hot as you). You could probably plant up some tall shrubs on the sunny side to give a bit of shade and stop the solid sides from heating up so much perhaps. As long as they have shelter from the wind they are cold hardy too and generally choose to 'rough it' rather than seek shelter. We had the odd frost this last winter and ours that were on the ground (with wire under the bedding) did just fine. Until we had a rat chew its way into the raised part of their run! Horrid things!

Yes, star finches are beautiful. We only have Java finches and Society finches, but I'd love some more exotic type ones one day. I don't see any problems with the perches - it would be unlikely the quail would manage to hit one, and they are very tough birds generally.

0E951EAD-5492-4A28-BC49-115DC88E41CE.jpeg
5CC0F57D-A9BA-437D-A2E9-71E77CF52C11.jpeg
I've been reading about how coturnix quail are kept, and it seems like a lot of people keep them in small pens to keep them away from things like predators and parasites. I'd like to keep a flock of them, but I want them in a more natural setup, and in something I can walk into and sit down in.
The solution to both the predator issue and the parasite issue seem to be a solid bottom, wood or concrete, that nothing could get up through.

I'm imagining kind of a modified storage shed. Wooden or concrete floor, then wooden walls about two feet tall, so no predators could reach through and grab one. It'd probably have an all-wooden wall on the South side to block the worst of the sun, and a solid roof, but it'd have mesh on at least one of the walls to let some sunlight and fresh air in. The door would have a foot-tall barrier across it so they couldn't run out when I opened it, and I'm not sure exactly how large the shed would be, but it'd definitely be at least 6-7 feet tall so they couldn't hurt their silly little heads trying to fly out.
To keep things clean, I'd cover the floor in a few inches of sand, and scoop out the poopy bits every day or so, like how people keep reptile enclosures clean.
I'd also give them a heap of straw in one corner to dig in, and probably a big pile of sterilized topsoil in another corner that I could try to grow some plants in. I figure sunflowers might be big and durable enough to not be eaten, if I could find a way to keep them happy, or I could try some sort of shrubbery.
I'd probably give them some thick branches to climb and hop on, and definitely a couple of hollow logs they could hide in. They'd have a little house at one end, and, in addition to the standard feeders, I'd throw slightly larger feed (sunflower seeds?) around now and then for them to scratch around for.

Would this work out for a batch of coturnix quail? I want them mostly as pets. I'd like to be able to walk in, gather up a couple eggs, and then sit and watch the quail. I'd be willing to get another kind of quail if they'd work better for a Texas quail pen, but I'm looking for something that's easy to tame and would be willing to interact with me.
I use a 10 * 10 retriever kennel from tractor supply a mypen. I put wire around the bottom with 2*12 boards at the very bottom where they like to nest against the side. I also built a hutch inside that I can either use as a brooder for smaller birds or now my breeding groups are in it for the winter.

View attachment 1175405 View attachment 1175406
I use a 10 * 10 retriever kennel from tractor supply a mypen. I put wire around the bottom with 2*12 boards at the very bottom where they like to nest against the side. I also built a hutch inside that I can either use as a brooder for smaller birds or now my breeding groups are in it for the winter.
Bravo, seriously. This setup is SO nice! I WISH I could do something like this but I live in PA and, well, snow. Man, I'm really going to start keeping my eyes open for something like this second hand. How on earth do you find the eggs? Or do they make designated nests? I know some people say they don't but I keep mine on grass most of they year and they certaintly do make nests.

Bravo, seriously. This setup is SO nice! I WISH I could do something like this but I live in PA and, well, snow. Man, I'm really going to start keeping my eyes open for something like this second hand. How on earth do you find the eggs? Or do they make designated nests? I know some people say they don't but I keep mine on grass most of they year and they certaintly do make nests.
Thanks. It is kind of a treasure hunt for the eggs but I put straw in the bottom and they do nest, although not consistently in one place. I would think the snow would slide off the top of this but you may have to put something to support the tarp, this is just a fitted cover over a frame. Or move south. ;)

Back
Top Bottom