Quail sitting on unfertilized eggs

I have broken her, but she is very light and her poop is much smaller from not eating very much when she was broody, and she has lost a lot of feathers, probably from her minimal diet. Is this normal? Should I feed her some probiotics to help her gain back her weight?
After hens are broody they usually lose alot of weight from not eating and sitting. I would give her some boiled eggs for extra protein and provide her with plenty of food and water. She should pick weight back up. All my hens have went thru this and it takes a few weeks but they end up gaining their weight back.

After hens are broody they usually lose alot of weight from not eating and sitting. I would give her some boiled eggs for extra protein and provide her with plenty of food and water. She should pick weight back up. All my hens have went thru this and it takes a few weeks but they end up gaining their weight back.
Sorry I'm pestering you, but I'm not actually sure she's completely un-broody. She's incredibly scared of people now (or maybe mad?) and will make angry quail noises (or something like that) and try to get away. She'll eat the mealworms I give her, but not from my hand anymore because she's not completely normal. Also, is losing feathers during brooding normal? I have some doubts that it's normal molting, even though she supposedly molts every year (I've just never seen her molt before). Also, even though she just crouches under cover, not sitting like a broody hen anymore, she still doesn't eat a lot. Today I put out a bowl of wet chicken food, but she only ate a bit. She usually goes crazy over it. So, I feel like she's in-between broody and not broody. :idunno
And I don't think she will eat the hard-boiled egg if she won't even eat wet chicken food.
I'm sorry, I'm just worried about her...

Thanks

Sorry I'm pestering you, but I'm not actually sure she's completely un-broody. She's incredibly scared of people now (or maybe mad?) and will make angry quail noises (or something like that) and try to get away. She'll eat the mealworms I give her, but not from my hand anymore because she's not completely normal. Also, is losing feathers during brooding normal? I have some doubts that it's normal molting, even though she supposedly molts every year (I've just never seen her molt before). Also, even though she just crouches under cover, not sitting like a broody hen anymore, she still doesn't eat a lot. Today I put out a bowl of wet chicken food, but she only ate a bit. She usually goes crazy over it. So, I feel like she's in-between broody and not broody. :idunno
And I don't think she will eat the hard-boiled egg if she won't even eat wet chicken food.
I'm sorry, I'm just worried about her...

Thanks
Is she in an enclosure alone or with others? The noises your talking about are agression meaning leave me alone. Broody hens can be unpredictable they remain grumpy as I call if for a few weeks and some get over it as soon as they are broken. I would place her in a seperate cage with nothing she can create a nest with. Make sure she can still see her friends if she has any. Place food and water and she should get better in a few days times. Alot of hens pull out their own feathers during brooding to create moisture and heat. Normally my quail molt going into fall so this month or next should be their time . I'm in Alabama so our seasons are alittle different. In mine they molt together it will look like a pillow fight has happened. Also if she's with others they could be bullying her and picking her feathers that might explain why she's skittish. Does she have access to a dust bath? I call it the bathtub for mine and they love it . It really passes their time and they stay in it all day kicking around. Typically for protein gamebird feed or turkey feed is best for quail. I add citrus parakeet seeds to my feed as an added treat.

She's alone, and she doesn't make nests anymore, but she just likes to sit/squat in a corner or out in the open and looks like as if she was about to run. She doesn't lay eggs anymore, but that might be due to the 50/60 degree Fahrenheit weather these days. She has a bowl of dirt which she uses sometimes, but I've never actually seen her inside it (i just see dirt spilled around the bowl and a few feathers in it).
I'm still kind of confused about the feathers, 'cause she lost feathers in her lower neck/upper back, but it's not a huge deal.
Today I held her, and she seemed heavier. I hope she'll gain back her weight soon. :)

She's alone, and she doesn't make nests anymore, but she just likes to sit/squat in a corner or out in the open and looks like as if she was about to run. She doesn't lay eggs anymore, but that might be due to the 50/60 degree Fahrenheit weather these days. She has a bowl of dirt which she uses sometimes, but I've never actually seen her inside it (i just see dirt spilled around the bowl and a few feathers in it).
I'm still kind of confused about the feathers, 'cause she lost feathers in her lower neck/upper back, but it's not a huge deal.
Today I held her, and she seemed heavier. I hope she'll gain back her weight soon. :)
You might want to consider getting her a friend if she's alone. What percentage protein is her feed? She could be going through a molt. Does she get alot of sunlight? That affects laying as well as her age. Is she the only quail you have or did you mean she's currently alone in her seperate space?

I'm not sure the percentage, but I feed her chicken food; the chick starter. She is under shade, but she gets some sunlight. She's two years old, but I've heard of them living 3-6 years, so it is probably the cold weather. She's currently alone; there is another male where they can't see each other, and two male button quails who'll peck at her too.

Back
Top Bottom