quail sizes

birdmaniac3000

Songster
12 Years
May 15, 2010
los angeles
i am getting gambles quails and would like to know if they are the same size as bobwhites also if valley quail, California quail, blue scaled quail are the same size as each or as bobs as well and do they coexist peacefully with each other

Quote:
DEFINE BOB WHITES FOR SIZE AS IT CAN RUN A SERIOUS GAMBIT...

VALLEYS,SCALED, GAMBELS, AND STANDARD BOBS ARE ALL ABOUT THE SAME, BUT SHOULD NOT BE HOUSED TOGATHER, ASIDE FROM QUAIL WARS, CROSS BREEDING MAY ALSO OCCUR. AS A GENERAL RULE ALL SPECES SHOULD BE HOUSED IN SPECES SPECIFIC PENS TO AVOID THESE PROBLEMS AND OTHERS

my Gambles are taller and leaner then my Bobs but my Bobs are little butterballs with feathers LOL bobs look like sumos gambels more like middle weights
smile.png

What color meat do you want? should be part of the decision, most are dark meat not sure how many are white but I raise the Texas A&M and they have many names but are basicly white on the outside and inside I like them and sell to several restraunts. They say the are the ones that sell best I like them for there size about 12 to 16 oz on the hoof so two are a good meal. They are a fun lot to mess with. I pickle the eggs and sell to beer joints. I only reproduce for size and color and no inbreed trates like circling or head bobing. I refuse to sell them no reason but will not do it. I have many friends that will take them gladly. I give breeding sets to my friends and a lot of them little buggers are showing up. If your into a dark meat and a good size and an eatable egg the Chucker has a bigger egg and are very tasty. At present I am not doing the native Texas(Blue)quail but next year I will and hope to live ling enough to see a covey fly in the free as I ride my bike down the road as they did when I was a kid. The ramblings of an old man.
old.gif

snake173

Quote:
Really? Are Texan A&M's white breast?
A freind of mine had some of these that he hatched from eggs that were sold as "Texan A&M's". The breast meat was as dark as a Mourning Dove!
43975_quail_7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom