Quail stopped laying

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
My quail have mysteriously stopped laying. They live in an outdoor enclosure and we got a lot of rain last week so I thought maybe that was why but they still haven’t started again yet. I don’t notice that they’re molting. Anything I can do to get them to start laying again??

What kind of quail are they? If they are coturnix, are they getting at least 14 hours of light per day? How many roos per hen do you have? Are there any predators hanging around lately? If they take a break from laying due to stress, it might take them a couple of weeks to start back up again.

What kind of quail are they? If they are coturnix, are they getting at least 14 hours of light per day? How many roos per hen do you have? Are there any predators hanging around lately? If they take a break from laying due to stress, it might take them a couple of weeks to start back up again.
They are coturnix jumbo. Our days are getting shorter here. We live in northwest MO. We currently have 3 hens to 1 roo. We had 5 hens but 2 mysteriously died. I haven’t noticed any predators but I have noticed my chickens hanging out by their pen a lot lately. Maybe the chickens are stressing them out?

My quail don't lay in the winter months or when it gets too cold or hot. Also, older birds will lay less often and on an irregular schedule. How old are your quail?
Mine are young. Just hatched earlier this summer. Honestly they’ve never layed regularly. I have 3 hens and only normally get about 1 egg a day. Sometimes 2.

They are coturnix jumbo. Our days are getting shorter here. We live in northwest MO. We currently have 3 hens to 1 roo. We had 5 hens but 2 mysteriously died. I haven’t noticed any predators but I have noticed my chickens hanging out by their pen a lot lately. Maybe the chickens are stressing them out?
Based on where you are, I would guess that they are taking a break for the winter. You can get them to start laying again if you give them artificial light so they have 14-16 hours of light per day. The chickens might also be a stress factor if they're not used to them being nearby.

Back
Top Bottom