quail testicles?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CajunChickenGuy, Sep 24, 2014.

1. CajunChickenGuy

CajunChickenGuy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    I just processed my first cortunix quail...2 males. Each had two large white testicles which were each about the size of their hearts. I was really quite surprised how large they were. My chickens went crazy for them! So, are quail testicles normally this large? Just wondering if this is typical or possibly some abnormality...

2. Kherome

Kherome Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    The males I processed had testicles the size of corn kernels, much smaller than the heart.

3. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    I have only processed a couple so far... they were the most aggressive ones... their testicles were practically the size of small kidney beans. I didn't pay attention to the relationship of size to their hearts though.

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

It happens often enough. Typically I notice more aggressive behavior from males with enlarged testes. You can typically tell if a male has this problem by looking just forward of the vent. When enlarged you'll notice the testes appear swollen and red below the skin.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What is a sking????

6. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    I've processed some that had testes over twice the size of their hearts. Can't imagine them walking around like that if they were mammals. It's no wonder they can't be bred in pairs.

7. Chotii

Chotii Chillin' With My Peeps

Every Coturnix roo I've ever processed has had testicles the size of jelly beans (the cheap kind that come in 2/$1 bags in convenience stores, not Jelly Belly). The first time I saw them, it shocked me, because I know my grandmother worked in a factory that turned young chicken cockerels into capons, way long ago, and that she would bring home the 'rocky mountain oysters' for the family to eat. These quail testicles looked big enough to belong in chickens. They sure didn't cook up like much. I only tried them once.

8. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Typo. Skin

9. plecostrum

plecostrum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    ENGLAND UK
    I just did 8. And yes I had a few small and some massive .. I did take pics but not sure quail insides are allowed.

But now I know why they need more that one female each and why they have so much aggression. Too much testosterone lol

They are bigger than heart ;-)

Not sure I fancy tasting quail balls tho lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by