"Quail Thread-Hatching, Mutations, and everything quail related!!!"

Quote: I have a batch of bobwhites hatching today, and so far I have 4/12 of them with curled toes. What variable could be responsible for this?

This could be a genetic problem passed down from the parents...either they did not receive enough nutrients while laying, or they also came from parents with curled toes and it was just passed down.

High heat during incubation can also cause curled toes or feet deformaties. Many times these things heal over. As the chicks grow, the feet can straighten out. You do not want to hatch eggs from these birds as they will no doubt pass it down the line again.
Someone a few weeks ago was explaining how to tape the curled toes of a chicken chick to a piece of Popsicle stick for a week or two until it straightened out,

I agree with TwoCrows here. Not having a device to check humidity & temperature is like popping a frozen pizza in the microwave, pressing buttons blindly & hoping for the best. You're either going to come out with a charred disk or frozen pizza. Or in this case, early 'quitters'.

You can find temperature & humidity readers at local garden centers, hardware stores w/ garden sections, pet stores (though generally more pricy), aquarium & terrarium stores online as well. Some gauges are very accurate, but most if not all lose accuracy over time (from months to years, depending on wear & brand). Always good to have back-ups & to make sure they're accurate before starting incubation - that is, make sure your incubator has stable readings 1-2 days before you add the eggs.

Please keep in mind you will likely need the thermometer gauge when the chicks have hatched as well. Too hot & they could pant, fall on their sides, get heat stroke & croak. Too cold & well, they may not be able to huddle close enough.
Don't forget to calibrate the humidity meter. There is an article in the Learning section that explains how. This will tell you if your meter reads a point or two or more off from true and you can adjust with math.
A lot of people have used the Accutemp Hydrometer (that is the formal name for a humidity meter) very successfully. However mine got vapor inside the workings and ruined the hydrometer part though not the temperature display. One of the most accurate types of hydrometers are the ones that look like a candy thermometer. There is one for sale on Ebay under hatching eggs in Agribusiness and Forestry (a subdivision of Industrial). They also have a digital thermometer/hydrometer by GOF that is also specifically made for incubators. They are more expensive but are worth it by the better performance.
You should check out the Beguinner Hatchalong thread in the Chicken section. A lot of experienced Bator Moms hang out there and hold our shaky beginner hands through the learning process and the agony of waiting for an egg. There are some that know quail too.

CHICKPIC'S ... Enjoy
jumpy.gif

I have a Question about our quail (corturnix) they are 5 months old and have been laying great with the weather getting cooler they are still laying well yet many of the shells have soft spots or we had a few the other day with no shell at all. We do eat the eggs and pickle them have also noticed that the taste of the eggs is getting more bitter then sweet. We give them laying crumble and once in a while a treat of ground fruit veggies with oyster shell,what is going on is it the change in weather or do we have someone sick? please help

I have a Question about our quail (corturnix) they are 5 months old and have been laying great with the weather getting cooler they are still laying well yet many of the shells have soft spots or we had a few the other day with no shell at all. We do eat the eggs and pickle them have also noticed that the taste of the eggs is getting more bitter then sweet. We give them laying crumble and once in a while a treat of ground fruit veggies with oyster shell,what is going on is it the change in weather or do we have someone sick? please help

In any bird that usually means that they have exhausted their available calcium. Offer some ground eggshells, or a cuttle bone. Be sure to bake the eggshell first so you don't get salmonella.

Have not posted here in a very long time....I am searching for ideas on quail housing. I raise rabbits so have lots of different cages. I also would need ideas on which breed is easiest to maintain and care for. They will be raised outside. Any and all help and ideas would and is much appreciated. Thank You.

Cluckychick there is a thread in this section on cages/hutches/etc. I also raise rabbits and just turned one of my hutches into a quail pen.

I got coturnix and from my research they seemed easiest to me for eggsupply. But make sure you wont need a permit etc for which quail you pick for your state.

There is a great info thread here for coturnix and i am sure will be ones for other types of quail. Those should cover all the basics of each type of quail.

Today makes a week Im bating my second batch of 1 dozen jumbo coturnix eggs laid by the parents I adopted. Got 4 of 5 first batch I did late jan. Im using hovabator 1602n with universal auto turner and fan kit. This time did less fiddling with the thermostat and am getting a mean 99.8ish as per the hydrometer. Less opening of the bator this time. I just add water through the hole as needed. Im about to put the 2 week old chicks in 1/4" cages-they outgrew the brood box I made them. Might give button quail a try after this batch. Then later, I want to try red golden or lady amherst pheasant.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom