1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Quail Thread-Hatching, Mutations, and everything quail related!!!"

Discussion in 'Quail' started by serama hen, Mar 16, 2013.

1. serama hen

serama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    Quail breeder to newbies everyone is invited. This thread is any quail breed anytime. Get answers from top breeders. Just a place for all quailers to hang out. But please follow all byc rules.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. serama hen

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    My school is doing a hatching and we will be ordering a hovabator egg turner brooder kit from incubator warehouse. And we will order hatching eggs of online. Is hovabator a good incubator and how long till quial eggs hatch.

3. serama hen

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Button Quail!!!!!!!!!! MY FAVORITE QUAIL BREED!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. serama hen

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    Were is everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Hello, I'm James, and I'm addicted to quail. I stepped away from my computer about an hour ago to spend some quality time with the whole fam damily, then we all cleaned out the brooder. I have 2 Texas A&Ms that are 3 days old. Those little guys are 2 poop machines that's for sure. Sadly, 11 of their hatchmates didn't make it, and I'm wondering about all the comotion that would be going on if I had 13 instead of just 2.
    Sorry, I can't answer the question about the Hovabator. You didn't mention what type of quail your class will be hatching, but the incubation period for coturnix quail is 16-17 days but can go as long as 18 days. I may have had thermomter issues, as one of mine arrived on day 18 and the other day 19.

6. underground chickenman

underground chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    Hovabator makes a good home or school incubator. I have two Hovabator Genesis with the egg turner. Works like a charm. The temp is preset at the factory. Just watch your humidity. Hatching time depends on the breed. I hatch Coturnix and they take about 17 days, give or take a day. Plenty of info on this forum and on the web in general. Look around and read a lot. Good luck.

UGCM

7. serama hen

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    We will be hatching tiny button quail but there are so many! What is a good breed to hatch? Whats everyones favorite quail and some pros and cons would be great!

8. James the Bald

Jan 6, 2013
    You do realize that was a "loaded question"? There are so many answers you will hear. As for me, the health benefits from quail eggs is the reason I am raising them.

9. serama hen

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    Yes i do i would love to hear others opinion to get this thread started.

10. James the Bald

Jan 6, 2013
    Will they be posting their results online? Somewhere about 6 months ago (before I found this forum), I found an elementary school that was hatching quail, and had a "web-cam" on their eggs from lockdown until hatch, and then when they moved the chicks into the brooder, they kept the webcam on the chicks. It was pretty cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by