Quail treats?

Got 3 eggs already and it is their first day
big_smile.png

Yep, if ya got the time, then a variety of veggies is good... mine, they just get the regular commercial feed

Mine are not going for the veggies. Could it be because they were not introduced to veggies when they were chicks? I had this problem with tropical birds in the past. If they aren't introduced to fruit and greens at a young age they wont touch them.

I give mine scrambled eggs, yogurt, mealworms, spaghetti.....they LOVED the pumpkins at Halloween. Basically anything you can give a chicken can go to a quail.

I do feed treats sparingly because the birds are so small...it doesn't take much to disrupt the balance of their diet.

Can I give them sunflower seeds? My chickens love these.

I've just set my son up with 8 quails, so he can sell the eggs. I believe in young enterprise. He's only 11.
He's selling the eggs £1.50 a dozen and pays his sister 50p for every 12 she cleans and packs. I think he'll do well in business
lol.png

We grow fairy moss and duckweed and give some to our buttons. They LOVE it! They tweet excitedly and pace back and forth when they see us coming with it. The coturnix will eat it but aren't as excited.

Quote:
They're like little shredders, except they consume it unbelievably quick. I can throw a head of lettuce in the coop with 48 Bobs, and it looks like it's going though a processor.....lol They love them carrots, too.

like pihranas? wow!

Quote:
I treat my Bobs about once a week to either carrots, lettuce, cucumbers or zucchini squash. Kept them real happy back during the summer garden months with those oversize cucumbers and zucchini squash. And oh yeah, watermelon rinds and cantaloupe rinds. They attack any of this like they haven't eaten in a week........especially the cucumbers. I try not to overdo it though.....try not get them too full up on this to not want the high protein ration.

YOU SHOULD SEE WHAT THEY'LL DO TO FRESH CORN ON THE COBB---- ITS LIKE THE CRYSTAL METH OF THE BOB WHITE WORLD!

I have got 3 eggs from my three hens for weeks now.
I have 60 in an incubator and 21 in the nest.
Here is what I feed my birds. I have a mixed aviary button quail and canaries.
I can't get any game bird starter here in Oz so the best I can get is %25 protein turkey feed. FORGET IT I SAY - I will do my own and getting approx %40 + protein.
I use 1/3 hand rearing mix with 2/3 high protein egg and biscuit mix. I use it for my canaries and they all love it.
I give it to all my birds everyday. Canaries and Buttons.
My canaries feed their babies and they grow faster than all my other canary friends can believe - so will use it with my button chicks when they hatch.
Just wish we had the stuff you guys have in the US, would make life easier.
They also get daily finch seed, chopped fresh greens & grated carrot, fruit slices (apple and pear) and shell grit. Every third day they get either hard boiled egg or meal worms as an extra treat.
Canaries and Buttons share their food so I give some at the bottom for the quails and some at the top for the canaries, so no one misses out.
I put their fresh food in at about 9am every morning, when I come back at 3pm nothing left but finch seed mix.
When I have more birds in the aviary I increase the portions I put in there.
I base treats on what my birds can eat in a couple of hours. Then the rest of the day the have to spend eating their seed.
When there are baby canaries in the aviary I make sure on the top shelf there is plenty of my protein mix all the time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom