Quail was pecked...now what?

Ozarkhomesteader

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2014
Arkansas
I have a texas A&M Quail that was pecked by his mates really bad. They are kinda new (i've had them for under a month) and they are around 7-10 months old. In the cage their are also 2 pharaohs and 5 Italians along with 8 other Texans. I am unsure of the sex on all but the pharaohs (i have a pair). Their cage is massive, so i know its not overcrowding.

He is inside right now while he is healing, but if i put him back in will they all just peck his bald little head again? When i got him he had been pecked previously, and was bald. Will they always peck him?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Make sure u don't put him back till he's fully feathered or else they might peck his bald head and cause bad bleeding. This happened with my button quail. When they see something unusual they will want to peck at it more. Just keep him separate and provide plenty of protein. He can go back after he's fully healed :)

Thanks :) Do you know kinda how long it will take for his feathers to grow back? Quail sure can be mean. I give mine game feed...should i add anything to bring the protein up?

Back
Top Bottom