Quail with cancer help

MichelleKing

Songster
Aug 25, 2018
Ohio
**UPDATE**

I can barely even write this. This quail was a gorgeous, super sweet, beautiful bird. She was a consistent egg layer. She was so gentle. I read all of the comments and made the decision to let her go. I inspected the tumor extensively before making the decision. The tumor was actually so much bigger than I first observed. I pulled the feathers back and it was about 3/4” long and about 1/4” thick. It had multiple veins running through it which meant it had a steady blood supply to keep growing. It was an upraised bump on her wing but I didn’t realize the extent of the tumor growth.
The vet would have had to take her entire wing off... I didnt think that was even fair to her. What kind of life would she lead? The other quail would have obliterated her being so different.
So I chose one method and did it quickly but I still feel sick about it. She was so beautiful and sweet! She went so fast but honestly today I released the life of a living thing and I don’t know how to deal with that. Even though I KNOW it was best for her. Being alone and in pain and having a giant tumor is no way for a beautiful bird to have to live.

Sorry for the rawness or this update but hoping y’all will understand where I’m at. Thanks so much for the support.

I have a quail that has a very large cancer tumor on her wing. I’ve confirmed this. It’s a hard, large mass and sticks out far and then extends through the wing to the underside of the wing. You can see the tumor has it’s own blood supply. It’s growing rapidly. Since I’ve discovered it, it’s grown significantly over the past week.

Question is- what do I DO? I’m
Heartbroken. She seems to be uncomfortable, can’t fly. I have her isolated alone in her own habitat with soft sand as a bottom for comfort, and so the male Wont hurt her by trying to mate with her. She sleeps a lot. she still lays her daily egg and she’s eating and drinking.

I don’t know what to do. I didn’t even know birds could get cancer. What would y’all do in my situation? Please help!

Last edited:
So sorry for you and your poor girl :hugs
I think it is really down to what you feel is right.

She seems to be uncomfortable, can’t fly. I have her isolated alone in her own habitat

She sleeps a lot.
It sounds like she is only going to decline.......I suspect a lot of people would say put her out of her misery before everything gets even harder on her

Then, she is eating and drinking and laying so others would say supportive care until further decline (judging by progression in last week though.. could be matter of days).
What is your gut telling you? Because it really does come down to you :hugs

So sorry for you and your poor girl :hugs
I think it is really down to what you feel is right.

It sounds like she is only going to decline.......I suspect a lot of people would say put her out of her misery before everything gets even harder on her

Then, she is eating and drinking and laying so others would say supportive care until further decline (judging by progression in last week though.. could be matter of days).
What is your gut telling you? Because it really does come down to you :hugs

Thank you. I’m so sad. She’s gorgeous and she’s sweet. I don’t want her to suffer. Someone said well just have a vet remove the mass but I think they would Have to remove the whole wing, it’s gotten so big.

Do vets put quail down, or if you do it at home what is the most humane and painless manner? Is there an injection? My gut tells me she will be in pain in the next few weeks here. I’m
Just lost here, have had so many SO MANY birds but never had a health issue like this one.

I think that the best thing you can do for her is to keep looking after her in the way you are now until she is no longer eating or drinking and can hardly move, at which point you should put her to sleep. Changing the way you care for her now might just stress her out and make her last few days less comfortable.
It would be nice to live in a world where surgery on very small animals is a common phenomenon that all vets have experience with.
I am sorry that you have to face this problem and I hope that it doesn't happen to any other birds that you will own in the future.

I think that the best thing you can do for her is to keep looking after her in the way you are now until she is no longer eating or drinking and can hardly move, at which point you should put her to sleep. Changing the way you care for her now might just stress her out and make her last few days less comfortable.
It would be nice to live in a world where surgery on very small animals is a common phenomenon that all vets have experience with.
I am sorry that you have to face this problem and I hope that it doesn't happen to any other birds that you will own in the future.
Thank you so much. I’m pampering her and trying to make her last days really comfortable and quiet.

A while ago someone who had to put a chicken down used the dry ice method. They said it was the most peaceful and humane way. It was posted here so you should be able to locate it. Imso sorry for you. It is a horrible situation you are in.
Thank you so much I will
Look it up.

I'm so sorry you are facing this. There are many ways to cull a sick or injured bird, some are more easy for the human, some are more easy for the bird. You will need to decide what you are comfortable with. This is the method I use, my way of getting there was very similar to the writer's, I wish I'd read it first! I wish you the best, whatever you choose.
https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/2017/06/the-easiest-way-to-cull-chicken.html

Back
Top Bottom