Quail with head injury panting heavily

Sorry, I don't have amoxicillin. Would the penicillin work? Could I weigh a smaller amount, though? A tablespoon is probably about the whole bottle.
Sorry, my mistake, I forgot it was penicillin. :oops: Go ahead and weigh one tablespoon, then weigh one teaspoon. You aren't going to use all of it, I just need to get an idea of how much it weighs so I can figure out an oral dose.

Attachments

• 2020-04-04 11.26.06.jpg
    2020-04-04 11.26.06.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 1
Well, somehow he broke off the tip of his lower beak. When I found the blood all over, I thought he was bleeding from his mouth or nostrils, but once I cleaned him up a bit I was a bit relieved to see it's from an external injury. But this poor little bird!! I dabbed some cornstarch to stop the bleeding, tried to gently dab a tissue soaked in Theracyn while afraid of accidentally unclotting the bleeding, and gave him more of the penicillin water drops hoping it might also help sterilize the beak. I assume I'll be feeding him liquids for a while again.
VID_20200405_083409_exported_1294_1586104411049.jpg

I haven't given him any Motrin yet since it may have a blood thinning effect. How long should I wait?
Motrin is a pretty potent drug for birds. You might use baby aspirin if you think he has pain? About 40gr or half of a baby aspirin. And maybe every other day. Asprin lingers in the body about 3 or 4 days.

Back
Top Bottom