Quail with no eyes

After some extended observation it is clear that Magoo is not getting as much food or water as the other chicks. I decided to intervene tonight and taught him how to drink water from my finger. I figure I will supplement his efforts a little to keep him nourished. I have decided that we will keep him as long as he is healthy and has a desire to do things for himself. If he gets depressed and drops in activity I'll put an end to it. He has also learned that running with abandon does not end well, and now lowers his head and walks around a little more cautiously. Once he gets to a point where I do not have to worry about him getting chilled I will make video.

I think you have the right attitude. I think as long as he is enjoying life and you don't mind being there for him, then this may be a very rewarding experience. But if he starts to go down hill, or you are unable to give him enough care, then it would be best to put him down.

But I am glad he is doing so well!

Rewarding... you bet. Watching him this evening we noticed him doing something new, he puts his head up and and then tracks it back and forth a little bit like the carriage on an old type writer. Then he will run but stop before hitting anything hard. It looks like he is listening to his surroundings and is able to determine boundaries and obstacles. I was able to get a little bit of a video tonight but it's not the best. I will try again in a bit and post it.

sounds great. Sounds like the little guy is learning how to cope with his disability!

I've been away from BYC for a bit but hate it when I find a thread without a conclusion. So here's an update. Magoo passed away. He did in fact get more and more dependent. Because Quail eat and drink like constant little snackers he failed to thrive as we were only available to assist him 3-4 times a day. His hatchmates quickly out paced him in development. Even though he was active all the way to the end and was able to learn how to cope with his blindness in many ways, one afternoon he just laid down and died. He did not appear to suffer and I really cant say what the cause of his death was. It was a good experience none the less.

sorry about your loss. I have a adult male that is vision impaired. I know he can see but I am not sure just how much. He usually follows the hen around to the food and treats but he knows the food dish and the water dish so he eats and drinks just fine. The hen is sitting now and he is a bit lost without her to wander around with. His vision is not genetic so I am not worried about the chicks. Again sorry for your loss.

So far Magoo is doing well. He doesn't seem to know what it means to be blind. He walks and runs around bumping into things, pecks at the floor for food, drinks from the water dish, and cuddles with the other Quail. We will keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't get bullied.

Edit: I almost forgot, he is real easy to pick out in the bunch because he has his head tipped up slightly in the same manner that is common with many people who are blind.
Magoo! Love the name. It's amazing he did as well as he did.
It was a valiant effort on your part. I'm glad you did what your heart told you.
Maybe he had other unseen problems.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom