quail with one bubbly watery eye

Tea_Birbs

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2021
I've tried looking for other forums with a similar problem but I just can't seem to get the right answer. Today I noticed on one of my quails this bubbly substance on my quail's eye. it's only on one of them. When I picked him up he seems quite tired and low energy. I've isolated him away from the rest of his flock but I'm not sure what to really do next. We're quite inexperienced quail owners and so we would really appreciate some advice from anyone. i can provide some pictures to help find an answer later. im not too worried about him. we might try and wash his eye out with a bit of water and see what happens from there.

I've tried looking for other forums with a similar problem but I just can't seem to get the right answer. Today I noticed on one of my quails this bubbly substance on my quail's eye. it's only on one of them. When I picked him up he seems quite tired and low energy. I've isolated him away from the rest of his flock but I'm not sure what to really do next. We're quite inexperienced quail owners and so we would really appreciate some advice from anyone. i can provide some pictures to help find an answer later. im not too worried about him. we might try and wash his eye out with a bit of water and see what happens from there.
I'm beginning to sound like a 'broken record' with all the cases of quail having these symptoms of late.
Most likely it's Mycoplasma gallisepticum, a highly contagious respiratory disease of poultry.
Characteristics of the disease are bubbles in the corner of the eyes, swollen face, mucus around the nares, labored breathing, lethargic and may have a 'fluffed up' appearance.
There is no cure, and once a bird is infected, it is a carrier for life.
Antibiotics help relieve the symptoms but do not eliminate the disease.
Usual treatment is with chlorotetracycline, erythromycin, oxytetracycline, tylosin or enrofloxacin, given in their water or feed for 5 to 7 days.
Flocks that are infected show a high morbidity but low mortality. Some strains of mycoplasma are more virulent than other strains. A vet visit is recommended to have the bird tested for the particular strain of mycoplasma.
The only defense is a strict biosecurity and sanitation protocol.

If you are going to flush it's eye, use a saline solution, instead of plain water.
HTH

I'm beginning to sound like a 'broken record' with all the cases of quail having these symptoms of late.
Most likely it's Mycoplasma gallisepticum, a highly contagious respiratory disease of poultry.
Characteristics of the disease are bubbles in the corner of the eyes, swollen face, mucus around the nares, labored breathing, lethargic and may have a 'fluffed up' appearance.
There is no cure, and once a bird is infected, it is a carrier for life.
Antibiotics help relieve the symptoms but do not eliminate the disease.
Usual treatment is with chlorotetracycline, erythromycin, oxytetracycline, tylosin or enrofloxacin, given in their water or feed for 5 to 7 days.
Flocks that are infected show a high morbidity but low mortality. Some strains of mycoplasma are more virulent than other strains. A vet visit is recommended to have the bird tested for the particular strain of mycoplasma.
The only defense is a strict biosecurity and sanitation protocol.

If you are going to flush it's eye, use a saline solution, instead of plain water.
HTH
I'm starting to think it might be mycoplasma too, we discovered another quail with swollen irritated eyelids, no gunk though. cleaning with saline solution seemed to work with getting rid of the first quail's eye gunk. I haven't particularly noticed any other symptoms. they seem somewhat active, eating and drinking well, no mucas, breathing normal. we'll consider taking them to the vet if more symptoms arise. im hoping not to see any more eye propblems with the rest of the flock. it doesnt seem like anyone else has any of the other symptoms either. could it possibly just be something else?

Back
Top Bottom