Quail with splayed leg.

I had this issue with my new quail babe that hatched yesterday. We tried the glass, for a few minutes at a time, because I wanted to see if he/she was able to fully extend without pain. I had them on a cushy layer of wood shavings, which I swapped out for paper towels (for a firmer surface). Since I saw she was able to extend without pain in the glass, I tried a brace made out of a rubber band. Disaster. I thought I would break its legs trying to get it on. Then, I tried one made from a wire bread bag tie. She flopped over and couldn’t get up or walk, and it kept slipping off. Lastly we tried a cloth bandaid, and that works wonders! It was the easiest to apply (right under the knee, being careful not to get the tiny toe stuck in the wrapping. She walked fine immediately, and looked very comfortable. We woke this morning, and she had already popped it off with how mobile she was, and was walking great! No reapplication needed. ❤ I know this is an older post, but maybe the photos can give an example of what worked for our day old quail. I’ve placed the tiny cut strip of cloth bandaid on toothpicks to show how I placed it on he legs. Good luck, Quail Friends!
It would be helpful if you could show how the splints were attached to the chick.

I just saw this post. Hope this can help someone. I had a chick itch splayed legs. I did the easiest thing I could. I got a small bandaid, cut it and used the pad part and taped it with the sticky part. Making a H. It worked for me and wasn’t too hard to do.

Could someone post a picture of one of the braces on a chick?
I dont, but I taped the legs of one of the snowies to either side of a super size tampon, like it was riding a horse lol. Then I put chick on tampon into a toilet paper tube to keep it upright and on the tampon, then I taped shelf liner over each end of the tube like little cage bars, this was the chick with the bent foot and splay. He is fine now, I don’t even know which pearl he is, he crowed in that tube like 4 times, so it’s a boy lol. Did I give you a crazy mental image?

Last edited:
Could someone post a picture of one of the braces on a chick?
1604958795728.png

I hope this helps. I found it on this website. I just scrolled through and found the picture but it does have instructions if you want to do it their way.

Back
Top Bottom