Quail with split skin next to swollen crop.

reeeen4

Chirping
Jan 9, 2020
I have a 3-4 day old quail chick that has a massively swollen crop with a rather large split/laceration at the edge of its crop. I came out this morning and this was how it was. Can a swollen crop split a chicks skin?
It looks rather miserable, what should I do? Can a large cut mend or is it going to need to be culled?

Attachments

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Poor thing. I don’t know anything about quail, but will tag @Kiki who might have a suggestion. Has it been eating bedding? It is hard to see the split in the picture. I would be tempted to give it water with electrolytes or just plain so that it might pass the crop contents onto the gizzard. Clean the crop with antiseptic.

Kiki

I quit 49 days ago. WASH YOUR HANDS!
Project manager
Premium member
Jul 31, 2015
Houston, TX
My Coop
My Coop
I can't see a cut?
Can you take more pics?

What bedding is in the cage?
What are you feeding?

Is he pooping?

reeeen4

Chirping
Jan 9, 2020
I can't see a cut?
Can you take more pics?

What bedding is in the cage?
What are you feeding?

Is he pooping?
I had to put it down sadly it started bleeding more and staggering around.
But I have a second one with a very large crop too.
I’m using wood shavings which I’m wondering if it’s swallowed one. I’m switching to paper towel I think.
I’m feeding them a game bird started (https://www.lauckemills.com.au/products/category/XXXAVJSH-game-bird/5691). Can they pass wood chips if that’s what it’s swallowed? I don’t want to loose another one 😭

Kiki

I quit 49 days ago. WASH YOUR HANDS!
Project manager
Premium member
Jul 31, 2015
Houston, TX
My Coop
My Coop
I had to put it down sadly it started bleeding more and staggering around.
But I have a second one with a very large crop too.
I’m using wood shavings which I’m wondering if it’s swallowed one. I’m switching to paper towel I think.
I’m feeding them a game bird started (https://www.lauckemills.com.au/products/category/XXXAVJSH-game-bird/5691). Can they pass wood chips if that’s what it’s swallowed? I don’t want to loose another one 😭
I'd go ahead and take out the wood chips immediately just in case the dummies are eating it.

reeeen4

Chirping
Jan 9, 2020
Anyone have any advice? I still have one with a very swollen crop and I don’t know what to do! I don’t want it to die!!! 😭
I have isolated it from the others, put it ok paper towel and taken food away for now it just has water and a heater at the moment. I don’t know what else to do.
Update: it’s been isolated from food all day but it’s crop is still full, it has been pooping but not sure how much 1 baby quail is meant to do.

Attachments

Last edited:

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
I am so sorry, but I am not familiar with quail. I would try to get the little one drinking water with sugar or electrolytes in it. No food. The crop looks huge, so I am not sure that this will end well.

Wyorp Rock

Enabler
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
I'm sorry I'm not much help.
I agree to keep it hydrated and see if the crop empties.
Do you think this one ate bedding as well?
What does the crop feel like, is it hard or soft and pliable?

Top Bottom