Quail won't lay. :(

Just to note and for what its worth; My 32% Chicky Chex mix cost about $32.00 for 100 lbs or $16.00 per 50 lbs bags (0.32 cents a pound) but the cost goes down a few dollars if I back off to 28%....but why? 28% cost $29.68 per 100 lbs $14.34 per 50 lbs. (0.30 cents per lb.).....I just wish I could figure out how to get the dogs to digest it without eating the birds as their dog food is 0.55 cents per lb.

To my knowledge, Milo, Millet, Corn are all 9% protein so I split the total weight of one calculated 9% grain (corn) and added the Milo at the same weight. Please don't ask me how to calculate 3 or more grain mixes of different %s..I don't know.
I use corn and Milo rather than one or the other as it is my belief that one grain will be higher/lower or have vitamins that the other will be lacking.

Bobs Chicky Chex Mix 32% protein
Grain
Protein
lbs needed
Milo 9% 8.93 lbs
Cracked Corn 9% 8.93 lbs
Soybean (milled/meal) 37%
82.14 lbs`

Last edited:
Well today I found my first QUAIL EGG! :D
I'm so happy. I was almost going to give up and just eat them.

I can't thank you guys enough! I only found two but it's a start.

Just to note and for what its worth; My 32% Chicky Chex mix cost about $32.00 for 100 lbs or $16.00 per 50 lbs bags (0.32 cents a pound) but the cost goes down a few dollars if I back off to 28%....but why? 28% cost $29.68 per 100 lbs $14.34 per 50 lbs. (0.30 cents per lb.).....I just wish I could figure out how to get the dogs to digest it without eating the birds as their dog food is 0.55 cents per lb.

To my knowledge, Milo, Millet, Corn are all 9% protein so I split the total weight of one calculated 9% grain (corn) and added the Milo at the same weight. Please don't ask me how to calculate 3 or more grain mixes of different %s..I don't know.
I use corn and Milo rather than one or the other as it is my belief that one grain will be higher/lower or have vitamins that the other
82.14 lbs`

im no expert but... thats a recipe for bobwhites and other birds that eat grain type stuff..... as far a coturnix quail go they need ground up granit and stuff in their crop to be able to digest that.. easier to just feed water soluable feed... but ya its a little more expenaive..

im no expert but... thats a recipe for bobwhites and other birds that eat grain type stuff..... as far a coturnix quail go they need ground up granit and stuff in their crop to be able to digest that.. easier to just feed water soluable feed... but ya its a little more expenaive..
Another good consideration...man! yall are tearing me a new one! LOL
I overlooked this in mention as my pea brain encircles around my two pens/coops and not others possible needs or lack of knowing ((((and mine)))). I promise I will try to do better or shut up one....????....probably the later!. I assumed that most birds need some way to grind it up and like an idiot didn't mention the hard stuff thinking it common knowledge and about my birdies. Their pen/coop is on top of an old gravel parking lot/shop area which has limestone gravel, ground chert/limestone, creek gravel, sand...and compost from age of no use ......so I just let them get it from the ground. The compost is about 3 to 5 inches deep and they are always digging and busting down to rock. If not there is always the oyster shell I add for cal.

N-e-ways. I appreciate yall keeping me straight and honest on the matters I need all the help I can get. Thanks.

lau.gif
I never said mine worked well either....thus the appreciation to DC and Sniper!

Back
Top Bottom