Quail won't lay. :(

Feed turkey starter/grower as a replacement for gamebird food. Galliformes require animal proteins in their diet since they are omnivorous I'm not sure what happens if you keep them on a diet that doesn't include it.

Go ahead and get the 24% protein feed and feed them eggs and other protein rich foods to get them their full amount of protein. Thats what I do when my feed store runs out of game bird feed and i end up having to buy All Flock. I usually feed my birds boiled eggs and nuts/seeds as a protein supplement and I give them the occasional cheese and yogurt. My birds are prolific layers.

Go ahead and get the 24% protein feed and feed them eggs and other protein rich foods to get them their full amount of protein. Thats what I do when my feed store runs out of game bird feed and i end up having to buy All Flock. I usually feed my birds boiled eggs and nuts/seeds as a protein supplement and I give them the occasional cheese and yogurt. My birds are prolific layers.

I found a supplier online for the 30% turkey starter, shall I just go ahead and order it?
It's overpriced but I just really want to get them laying.

Proper protein helps but in my experience protein is rarely the cause of quail not laying. I know of a very poor quality operation in my area that runs around 100 coturnix hens. They have never been fed anything but chicken food. they are sorry looking birds but they lay every day.

When birds aren't laying I usually look to stress (assuming they get some direct sunlight for vit D) Do you have predators prowling around at night (most people do)? Is there an aggressive bird in your flock? Is a hawk hanging around their cages a lot? that kind of thing.

Proper protein helps but in my experience protein is rarely the cause of quail not laying. I know of a very poor quality operation in my area that runs around 100 coturnix hens. They have never been fed anything but chicken food. they are sorry looking birds but they lay every day.

When birds aren't laying I usually look to stress (assuming they get some direct sunlight for vit D) Do you have predators prowling around at night (most people do)? Is there an aggressive bird in your flock? Is a hawk hanging around their cages a lot? that kind of thing.

The birds seem stressed. :/ And no they are not in direct sunlight. The have some but mostly shade. Should I move them?
I'm sure there is predators at night but there is not much I can really do about that.

I have those wooden blinds attached to my coop that I pull down every night. Maybe you could drape a thin cloth over them at night. Also in what size of a coop/pen are you keeping your quail? How many males and females do you have left? To help relieve stress I give lots of treats and dust bathing bowls.:) Also make sure you have plenty of hiding places for the birds.

Last edited:
They get used to the night prowlers after enough time, how much time that is who knows. I don't know exactly how much sunlight they need but I make sure that my cages all get 2-3 hours of sunlight ever day because like us they get vitamin D from the sun.

Are you keeping multiple males in the same space? Thats a stress no no in hobby sized cages.

Do you hear the birds flapping around when you aren't watching them? Are there loose feathers more than normal around the cage? Does anyone look feather picked? One aggressive bird is all it takes.

They get used to the night prowlers after enough time, how much time that is who knows. I don't know exactly how much sunlight they need but I make sure that my cages all get 2-3 hours of sunlight ever day because like us they get vitamin D from the sun.

Are you keeping multiple males in the same space? Thats a stress no no in hobby sized cages.

Do you hear the birds flapping around when you aren't watching them? Are there loose feathers more than normal around the cage? Does anyone look feather picked? One aggressive bird is all it takes.
Boy thats a fact, Often times one is the whole problem. I have caught and removed the "perpetrator" and then the rest of the birds are like a whole new group.

I have those wooden blinds attached to my coop that I pull down every night. Maybe you could drape a thin cloth over them at night. Also in what size of a coop/pen are you keeping your quail? How many males and females do you have left? To help relieve stress I give lots of treats and dust bathing bowls.
smile.png
Also make sure you have plenty of hiding places for the birds.

Ok so I need to add blinds to the cage to use at night?

The pen is huge for the quail, plenty of room. There is 4 hens and 1 male.
I don't really give them treats but I will give it a try, not much hiding places so I will add in some soon.

The birds don't seem to flap and be so stressed out when they can't see me.
No aggressive birds that I can see.

Back
Top Bottom