Quaildini Returns: The Legend Continues

topgunbobby

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Home of Quaildini

Okay. Now I'm getting a little concerned for our little zealous daredevil. Any thoughts for why it is happening?

My only recommendation is to get a 1" wide strip of hardware cloth and wrap it around the inside of the feeder base, just on the inner perimeter of the feeder openings so the feed can fall through. Once he gets inside and sees he can't get past it, it may deter him from doing it.

He did it again?!
Do you have some scrap wire you could put inside the base to make the holes too small for him to get through? Maybe a piece of 1/2" hardware cloth would work?
I just want to watch how he manages to do that!

Cheers,
Jessie

I'm wondering if he is climbing into the hole because he thinks it is a sand bath for him. Have you tried offering a separate open dish filled with sand for him to roll around and bathe in? You may end up needing to use a hanging type of feeder with smaller holes that spill into a tray (see photo below). For now, would it be possible for you to remove the mason jar and just offer the bottom holed feeder - at least that way you won't have to worry about him climbing up into the jar?

Here is an example photo of a hanging-type feeder that may work....

I have to say, that is quite the bird you have there!

Last edited:
Wow....yeah, you need to block off the holes a bit with something so he can not get into the jar. Or use another type of feeder. Crazy quail!

Don't use JUST "DE" for a dust bath. Too potent on the lungs. You would only want to add a small handful to a pan of sand or dirt. :)

I use Repti-Sand, but I only have a handful of quail right now. I pay about $6 for a 5lb. bag, so it may be a bit costly if you have several birds and need a greater quantity. I would just stay away from potting soil with perlite in it (those tiny styrofoam-like white balls) and also avoid another product called Reptilite (not the same as Repti-Sand.) I've seen some people use just regular dirt dug up from their backyards, while others add a bit of ash from their fire pits to this. If you have a spot of sandy soil somewhere on your property, you can just scoop up some of this and put it in large pan for them to bathe in.

My chicks were doing that too, though not to that extent! I actually left the top off and just kept the food in the open dish until they were too big to get in to the holes. It was messier, but I felt safer knowing they wouldn't get stuck if I wasn't paying attention to them.

Back
Top Bottom