Quails and Chicks

Summer Rose

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 29, 2012
Hello, I was wondering if I can house quail in my Chicken coup? The Coup is 9' x 13'. It is a shed that I converted for my SF's.
I imagine that I would need to keep them in a cage but not sure. Posting a pix of my Coop.

Yes you can if you keep them in a cage. Some will say the chickens will get the quail sick, but I've had them together for some time and never once had an incident. This I believe was an old wives tale. Good luck and enjoy!:rolleyes:

Thanks, appreciate your reply.Let you all know if I do get set up for the Quail, I was just in the debating stage.

There is a disease risk - but there is a disease risk with most things! I have kept quail, pigeons, finches and chickens in the same area (but not mixed together).

If you quilt get out its very likely your hens will kill them, so you need to keep the cage secure and make sure the spaces in the wire are too small for the quail to stick out their heads!

Yes you can if you keep them in a cage. Some will say the chickens will get the quail sick, but I've had them together for some time and never once had an incident. This I believe was an old wives tale. Good luck and enjoy!:rolleyes:

Your statement is no different than " I have smoked for years and I'v never had cancer." To say its a old wives tale is just wrong..... There have been several well documented cases on this very forum over the years, if you just did the search. Now you keep your quail where you like, but there are alot of very real things that I'm glad just have'nt happened to you... I hope you remain lucky. Bill

Being there are large differences in answers, I don't think I will take the chance. Thanks though for your Reply's.

Being there are large differences in answers, I don't think I will take the chance. Thanks though for your Reply's.

Rose I'm sorry If I confused you with no explanation or data. This subject has came up often in the past few years. There is really no debate at this point, the documented cases are here. This is a link to what is, IMHO, the most common problem one would run in to keeping quail with chickens. If your birds were hatched at your place and you have a closed flock. This would likely not happen to you. But there are many who go to auctions and shows regularly and bring in new stock. The chicken, or quail for that matter, can appear fine. No symptoms what so ever. But still be a "carrier" of several illnesses. Once they have had it they will always be a carrier. few game birds survive. But the ones that do will always be a threat to any they are exposed too.... Heres the link Have a look for your self.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=250361&p=1

I free range my quail with the chickens all of the time. And not everyone dies of cancer from smoking.
Pictures and article on my website.

Back
Top Bottom