Quails and pekins? Will they get along?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Olivers poultry, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Olivers poultry

Olivers poultry Just Hatched

I am looking to possibly add maybe 2-3 pekins in the bottom of my aviary with my 4 quail. Will they get along well with eachother?

2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Pekin Ducks? I'm not sure hehe I don't have experience with them, but I do know that quail and chickens usually don't mix due to pecking injuries/chickens can carry disease that can kill off quail fast but has no symptoms in the chickens. :eek:

3. Olivers poultry

Olivers poultry Just Hatched

No, I was thinking about pekin chickens sinc they are quit small and a little bigger than a quail

4. LoveInNature

LoveInNature Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2016
    Brisbane Australia

Apart from not putting quail with chicken as they will pick up chicken diseases, pekins are around 800gm where quail (Jap) are around 200. Even jumbos dont go over 500gm.

I wouldn't risk it for a few reasons. I am not saying it wouldn't work if you had a great setup where they could get away from the Pekin.

5. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Chickens shouldn't be kept with pet/exotic birds. Chickens are carriers of diseases that may not affect them but can be fatal to your pet birds. Chickens should be kept separate and good hygiene observed between your handling of chickens and your pet birds. Diseases can be tracked in on shoes or even just blown there by the wind if their enclosures are close. I have an aviary but it's at the front of our house whereas our chicken coop is way out the back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by