Quails & Chicks

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Small Town Girl, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Small Town Girl

Small Town Girl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Bexley, OH
    Hi! I am new to BYC, having just ordered my first chickens online. My chicks will be arriving the first week of August from My Pet Chicken. Anyway, last week I bought five 5-week old quail chicks (bob whites) on impulse. Since they were older, they are really skittish and will probably never really be tame. I was wondering if it would be alright to keep them in the same coop with my chickens (once the chicks were older.) Will the two species co-exist or am I going to have to arrange for separate quarters? I appreciate your input! [​IMG]

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC!

I keep mine seperate because the quail are so small and flighty that their escape would be inevitable. As the chickens get older, I think they may turn aggressive towards the quail, then again, the chickens probably couldn't catch the quail.

I would build seperate pens, just to be safe.

Someone else, may have more experience with this.

-Kim

3. Small Town Girl

Small Town Girl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Bexley, OH
    Thanks Kim! I was pretty sure the answer was going to be "no", but thought I'd go to the experts. I will have to get the little guys their own run with itty bitty wire, as they all seem to be escape artists!

Jennifer

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Everything I've read is "no"... sorry. Size differences, susceptibility to each other's diseases, attitudes... I wouldn't think the quail would do very well in the same setting. And don't feel badly... I've raised BWs from eggs and they're just as skittish. [​IMG] Darnit.

[​IMG]

5. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    mine are fine together, the quail mother 'em [​IMG] oh yeah i forgot [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by