Quails hatching and….

Roosterinthecity

Songster
Mar 31, 2022
Bought 12 Cortunix quail eggs at the pet store by chance because they had them at the register while checking out. Figured, “let’s see if this will work….I did just buy an incubator 2 months ago for the Ayam Cemani I’m breeding.”
Well, who knows how long the eggs were at the store…..but I got a dozen. Brought them home, and set up the incubator.
Today is day 14…..and…..(yes I have just adjusted the humidity and temp for “lockdown” purposes).
Issue is….I didn’t yet place something on the bottom of the incubator for their feet/traction/level ground/etc. Why? Because it’s just day 14!
So I know I’m not going to open the incubator up. I have to let these little butt-munchkins dry. So do I just leave them be, or risk opening and placing something on the ground? Right now it’s the incubator plastic square cut out framing.

Attachments

• IMG_6238.png
    IMG_6238.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
I just got finished hatching my quail. I let them dry for a couple hours and when I took them out to put in brooder, placed paper towel down on the floor. The incubator heated up quickly and set for the rest of the eggs I had in it. Quail hatched on day 18 and 19. My Bantam hatched out day 23.

Bought 12 Cortunix quail eggs at the pet store by chance because they had them at the register while checking out. Figured, “let’s see if this will work….I did just buy an incubator 2 months ago for the Ayam Cemani I’m breeding.”
Well, who knows how long the eggs were at the store…..but I got a dozen. Brought them home, and set up the incubator.
Today is day 14…..and…..(yes I have just adjusted the humidity and temp for “lockdown” purposes).
Issue is….I didn’t yet place something on the bottom of the incubator for their feet/traction/level ground/etc. Why? Because it’s just day 14!
So I know I’m not going to open the incubator up. I have to let these little butt-munchkins dry. So do I just leave them be, or risk opening and placing something on the ground? Right now it’s the incubator plastic square cut out framing.
It sounds like your temperature was running a bit high if they hatched on day 14. It looks like you had at least 6 hatch already? I would have taken the risk and opened the brooder to put something down for traction. I normally do that when I remove the turner. Hopefully, you let them dry for a couple of hours and then got them into a brooder. How are they?
Edit to add: you might have gotten a quicker response if you'd posted this in the quail forum instead of the general Incubating forum.

I leave them in the incubator for 12-14 hours, sometimes longer.. then into a quick brooder lined with paper towels and under lamp at 95° for another 12 hours and then introduce them to water (dip beaks into quail waterer) and then put a pile of slightly ground starter in the middle of the brooder tote, I use a marble mortar and pestle to grind starter for first 10 days.. then at 12-15 days they go into the big brooder with bigger waterer and an actual feeder out in the barn.. and regularly raise light which drops temp by 5-6° each week until 5.5 weeks old then into grow out pen..

Well, 9 of 11 hatched between day 14 and 15. The other 2 eggs are still in there, but I doubt anything will come if it. I moved the chicks into a brooder already. They were fine, as I monitored. But 2 idiots decided to drown themselves in the brooder. Barely any water in the lid of a jar, but they found a way. Oh well 7 quails left and 2 eggs still in incubator. Let’s see if these 7 will make it. Their feet look good, so at least that’s not an issue anymore.

Well, 9 of 11 hatched between day 14 and 15. The other 2 eggs are still in there, but I doubt anything will come if it. I moved the chicks into a brooder already. They were fine, as I monitored. But 2 idiots decided to drown themselves in the brooder. Barely any water in the lid of a jar, but they found a way. Oh well 7 quails left and 2 eggs still in incubator. Let’s see if these 7 will make it. Their feet look good, so at least that’s not an issue anymore.
From the first day in the brooder, I use this waterer:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...crew-on-quail-base-for-quart-jar?cm_vc=-10005
It takes a regular mouth mason jar and has a very narrow trough. I'm sure it's available elsewhere than TSC, but that was where I bought mine. Though I've had a few unexplained deaths in the brooder, I don't think any were drownings.

Yup….I had everything except a water source. Was going to go buy something like that, but I thought I had a few more days…lol
Lesson learned.
For a first time using an incubator….once again, lessons learned.

Back
Top Bottom