Quails Nails?

HutchButch

Chirping
Jul 27, 2023
Two of my quail - Jupiter the rooster and Eris the hen - have recently had nails come off.

Jupiter's nail came off last night while I was attempting to remove a developing poop ball. Eris had a nail a week or two ago which was growing more and more yellow (see pic) and which was very, very loose, and I decided to pull it out (probably a mistake). Both procedures involved washing of wounds and application of white label anti-biotic ointment (without pain killer components, so that was safe for them).

Jupiter stood on one leg for much of the night last night, but he could still walk (I'll report on him as things progress). Eris on the other hand has has a bump where her nail is and has developed a blue spot where the digit meets the leg (see pics). Can someone explain what that is? And would someone also provide some guidelines for proper handling of quails' nails? Should I cut them? Will they fall off on their own? Anything else I should know?

Attachments

• yellownail.jpg
    yellownail.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 24
  • nail2.jpg
    nail2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 7
  • nail1.jpg
    nail1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I don't see any pics on your post. If you can post pics of their setup as well, that would be helpful.

If they have poop balls on their feet, the best thing to do is put them into a container with a shallow layer of warm water and let them soak off.

How old are your quail? Are they on wire? If so, do they have a place to get off of the wire to rest their feet?

I don't see any pics on your post. If you can post pics of their setup as well, that would be helpful.

If they have poop balls on their feet, the best thing to do is put them into a container with a shallow layer of warm water and let them soak off.

How old are your quail? Are they on wire? If so, do they have a place to get off of the wire to rest their feet?
They're in sand on wood in a wooden hutch with hardware cloth walls. No wire. Here's an older pic of their home.

Attachments

• hutch.jpg
    hutch.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 9
Their home looks quite nice. Rather than worrying about trimming their nails, I would add a brick or a rough stone to their home so they can wear them down naturally.

The purple spot looks like a bruise and should heal naturally. Don't be surprised if it turns green while it heals.

Their home looks quite nice. Rather than worrying about trimming their nails, I would add a brick or a rough stone to their home so they can wear them down naturally.

The purple spot looks like a bruise and should heal naturally. Don't be surprised if it turns green while it heals.
I'm very relieved to read that! Thank you. I'll add a brick or two for them. I usually prop one of their water vessels on one, so they alread have some idea of what it might be.

Back
Top Bottom