Quails Never started laying =(

backyardquails

Hatching
Jul 12, 2020
Well, this is my obligatory "Why aren't my quails laying yet?" post. Long-story short, I have 9-week-old quails, 7 female (potentially 8 as I'm still unsure about 1) and 2 males in with them. Still no eggs. I've seen many threads where the quails have stopped laying. Mine never started laying. They ate high protein feed up until week 6 and then I switched them over to a layer feed with 16% protein. They also get chicken egg shells for calcium, and some greens here and there. The males have been crowing fine. They have 14-15 hours of sunlight a day as they are in an outdoor cage and it's the middle of summer. I don't know what is going on. No one looks like they're in pain or discomfort. They definitely have enough space. I did have to remove a few males over the past week because of fighting but since then everything has been peaceful. Anyone had quails that just won't lay? Or does that not happen?

Thanks!

Attachments

• quails_relaxing.jpg
    quails_relaxing.jpg
    874.2 KB · Views: 16
  • quails_relaxing2.jpg
    quails_relaxing2.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 11
  • quails_relaxing3.jpg
    quails_relaxing3.jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 12
How's the weather there this last few days/week? Our birds have stopped/slowed down laying, year we had birds due to mature around this time and the heat stopped them, I'd guess the heat is just a little too stressful for some birds? I assume by your pretty colors they're not Jumbo's? : D

How's the weather there this last few days/week? Our birds have stopped/slowed down laying, year we had birds due to mature around this time and the heat stopped them, I'd guess the heat is just a little too stressful for some birds? I assume by your pretty colors they're not Jumbo's? : D
Hi thanks for pointing that out. It has been a very hot summer up here in New Jersey. We've been getting temperatures in the 90's for the past 2 weeks. I didn't know if this would affect them. I do give them a bit of electrolytes in their water. I wonder if other quail owners have noticed a cease in egg production during hot summer months. Thanks!

Also, I haven't weighted them to see if they're jumbo size but I suspect not. Even my more meaty birds do seem smaller (less plump) than other quails I've seen. Could be what I'm feeding them. They are also quite active digging up the bedding for food and moving around.

Last edited:
They should be getting a game bird feed, not one meant for chickens. Not enough protein.
Hi they were on high-protein game bird feed for the first 6 weeks. I can switch them back over to that and see if it helps. The layer feed they're on now maybe specially for chickens. I'm researching now. I will get them back on their game bird feed for now just in case that's the problem. Thanks.

Hi they were on high-protein game bird feed for the first 6 weeks. I can switch them back over to that and see if it helps. The layer feed they're on now maybe specially for chickens. I'm researching now. I will get them back on their game bird feed for now just in case that's the problem. Thanks.
That sounds good! My quail are fed game bird starter with 30% protein.

That sounds good! My quail are fed game bird starter with 30% protein.
Most of the feed around me was 24% so I started them with that and supplemented with some mealworms too. I finally got a hold of a 30% protein feed so I will put them on that for a few days and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom